CAP custom abutments

R

Ryan Gottlieb

Reaction score
I have done a few of the hybrid abutments and screw retained hybrid FCZ crowns with CAP and i thought it was time to post a very brief review. My scanner is the 3Shape D800. I have done only a few dozen custom abutments with my scanner so far. each time i complete a design, I am blown away by the simplicity and speed.

The scan body system is from NT trading. like all of the scan kits, the NT trading kit is a little confusing at first. they have their own codes that don't relate in any way to the type or size of implant, so this takes a little getting used to.
the scan bodies are made of a plastic material that seems to be pretty strong so I think they should hold up just fine. the unique shape of these scan bodies makes 3 point alignment fast and easy. The one thing I would change if I could would be the size, they are a little wide. I think there could problem with a small lower anterior case.

I do custom abutments with several different companies, and have been pleased with all of them. with most custom abutments it is very difficult to get perfect results when milling a crown and abutment at the same time. because of the connectors, and maybe some other factors, their always seems to be a slight difference. I design my full contour crown and submit it for wax print with each abutment just to keep an eye on the accuracy. Like most of the other milling centers, CAP can not provide a water tight seal between the two, but it is MUCH closer than most others. if the case calls for emax press over the abutment, we just cutback and re-seal the margins and are able to use the wax print. unfortunately, if we want to do zirconia over the abutment, we need to rescan the model with the abutment in place. 3i's Bellatek is the only milling center that I have found that can produce water tight margins from the same scan, but for now they are only milling 3i interfaces.

I have not done any titanium abutments with CAP so I cant comment on those. I have done several FCZ screw retained crowns. The process is so freaking easy and the final result is really nice. the one thing that you need to keep in mind with these is that once you cement the crown to the titanium base, it can no longer go into the furnace. I give my clients the option to cement the base themselves after trying it in. they have all said no up to this point (lazy Dr's :)). so far no issues.

one thing that CAP provides ( I Know it has been mentioned many times on this forum, but I think they deserve another) is their customer service and support. They are not perfect, and mistakes happen just as they do in every lab (especially mine). but when a mistake does happen, that’s when you will get a feel for the kind of people you are dealing with over there. they go out of there way to make it right and always as fast as they can. I am a small lab, but they make me feel like l am there largest account.
ordering parts has been simplified as well, CAP keeps analogs in stock. I just log on the their portal, click the mouse a few times and the parts are on the way!

I do not work for cap, and this is in no way a paid endorsement. I just wanted to spread the word.
Ryan

corona

corona

Reaction score
ryan , i understand that the try in method for the fcz cemented to the interface of an abutment is the best strategy, but as you mentioned , doctors do not or prefer not to do it this way. I just posted a technique as others did for an emax cemented to a ti abutment and the contacts were off so the lab is trying to remove the cement and add contact . So these kind of things are going to happen. my question is .. why dont you ever want to try this technique with a fcz to abutment interface ? is there an issue with cementing after words if you do get it off ??

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Very nice review, glad you took the time to share.

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
It's nice reading and seeing that others are doing what you're doing. We started doing the same process. Except we purchased the Glidewell abutment kit, but instead of sending the file to them, I simply send the zr to my Roland, mill it, stain and sinter. Then all we do is cement the zr to the ti interface. I think this is a great product to be able to offer docs. Cuts down on the gold, and still keeps it retrievable. Tried to talk a dr into doing one today, she sent a screw retained case and wanted a full gold. No problem, other than it was HUGE!! For whatever reason she didn't want to go with a screw retained FCZ, so on top of the $260 straumann UCLA we get to add our gold crown fee plus 6.8dwt of Y+ alloy!!! I think when all is said and done she could have given the patient a better looking crown for a 1/4 of the price. Thanks for your insight on FCZ screw retained crowns.