Light cured custom tray problem

D

David Laville

Reaction score
I'm using the light cured custom tray material (Megatray) for my baseplates. After I trim them I place them in an ultrasonic then dry them before applying wax. For some reason the rims and waxups have a hard time adhering to this material and tend to slide off. Has anyone else experienced this with this material and were you able to solve it?

DavidW

DavidW

Reaction score
You can either clean them in isopropyl alcohol or grind the surface a little bit with the stone or bur to remove the dispersion layer.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I'm using the light cured custom tray material (Megatray) for my baseplates. After I trim them I place them in an ultrasonic then dry them before applying wax. For some reason the rims and waxups have a hard time adhering to this material and tend to slide off. Has anyone else experienced this with this material and were you able to solve it?
@DavidW is right on. Are you using any air barrier coating to mininize reaction layer geling? Vaseline works wonders for that. Paint the model and the 'outside' and then agitate in isopropyl. Generally put some stickywax directly under the rim as well.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score

The water takes awhile to leave the baseplate after you ultrasonic and keeps the wax from sticking. I use molten wax before I apply the base was and even then it may still peel off. Let it dry for a few minutes, apple a layer of molten was and seal everything good, that works for me.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Scrub with alcohol, grind to roughen, sticky wax on crest of Ridge.

FWIW, I prefer Everclear to isopropyl. Works better. Don't know why...

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
create some retention in the base prior to curing.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score

and you do flaming shots while working? of the everclear that is. avoid the isopropyl

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score

It looks like a "Don't mess with me" sign on your bench when someone does a walkthrough.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
It looks like a "Don't mess with me" sign on your bench when someone does a walkthrough.
I started using it in an ultrasonic to clean my metal ceramic copings.
Handy stuff.
But yeah, you get looks when you buy several at a time...

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I watch too much YouTube for that.
The kind of videos that would show me the results of inebriation are the kind I'd need to be drunk to watch.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I started using it in an ultrasonic to clean my metal ceramic copings.
Handy stuff.
But yeah, you get looks when you buy several at a time...
Try 90% isopropyl instead of 50%?
90% == 180 proof.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
The kind of videos that would show me the results of inebriation are the kind I'd need to be drunk to watch.
Most of them lead me to conclude that flaming drinks end badly...

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Most of them lead me to conclude that flaming drinks end badly...
After nasally inhaling a zippo flame first time I used one I kinda leave those alone now too.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Ah, so you're the reason they come with instructions and a warning label now??
Nah, that's for the people that think wearing a blanket tied at their neck allows them to fly.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Nah, that's for the people that think wearing a blanket tied at their neck allows them to fly.
Hey! I remember being 5 and running/jumping in the front yard trying to fly like George Reeves on tv....
I eventually wised up.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Your mistake was thinking you could fly like him then, when you have to be chunky like him.
Now you might have the right physique for this - heck, you should go try it again and be faster than a speeding bullet
leaping off your bed!
;)

D

David Laville

Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone. I had a gut feeling there was some type of barrier coating on this material so the last few I did I shell blasted the outside before cleaning them and applying the wax. I haven't done enough to say it solved the problem but the wax is adhering much better, no slip offs so far.