Lab Question

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score

Last edited:
lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
2, 3, 4, 5, (anyone want to continue with that song?)
Sorry, could not resist that one.
LCM

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
2, 3, 4, 5, (anyone want to continue with that song?)
Sorry, could not resist that one.
LCM

Yeah, that's me with an idea that I don't know if I want to discuss or not.
I usually put it out there for a few minutes then take it back..... guess I'm quirky that way.....:)

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
ps..... I've also had a really bad cold/flu (whatever it is) the last few days and probably not as clear headed as I should be.
I've been toying with the idea (for years) to become a repair and reline lab only. Every time I try to take that to the next step, I get cold feet as I've put a lot into dentures and have knowledge i don't want to lose. This said, I really hate outsourcing frameworks (for different reasons) and I don't do implants. As you know, I almost took the plunge and went to work somewhere (not actively looking but what a great opportunity.) Now instead of running, I want to make a model that I can live with. I'm toying with the idea of lab with repair, reline, temps (maybe flexibles) to go along with scheduling in house (rent a tech) type work with dentists that would like to have a tech come in once or twice a week and do things like set teeth, etc.... that makes it look like they have their own in house denture tech without the cost of fulltime employee. May be a really dumb idea but I weighing different options.

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
Talk to other local labs and make a deal with them to do repairs.

As a outsource lab I just don't have the time to do that stuff and would pass that on without any up-charge as a service to our accounts.

Repairs are a dish better served locally.

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
How about just scaling down? I'm not sure what size lab you have, but what about running with your repair/reline idea and picking a couple of your best accounts and just continue to do all there work. Everyone else just repairs and relines. Just a thought....

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Talk to other local labs and make a deal with them to do repairs.

As a outsource lab I just don't have the time to do that stuff and would pass that on without any up-charge as a service to our accounts.

Repairs are a dish better served locally.

Thanks for the tip Tom. The local part is what I play up. Of course if you need a repair done out this way just get in touch. I've had dentists that were sitting on huge accounts (some you may not want.....)out here looking for good labs that I would be happy to pass along in the future in trade for local repair work, that goes for you and others.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
How about just scaling down? I'm not sure what size lab you have, but what about running with your repair/reline idea and picking a couple of your best accounts and just continue to do all there work. Everyone else just repairs and relines. Just a thought....

I'm not a big lab. I could be though. I just want things to run as smooth as possible. I also miss working with other people and seeing the new technology in some of these offices. Going to them might take care of that issue, as long as I don't have to listen to easy listening music while I'm there!:)

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
I would think a repair/reline lab could do real well. As big a pain as it is for 'regular' labs because it breaks up the flow, it could be a boon for someone set up to do only that. Something you might want to add to your "repertoire' is duplicate dentures, especially if you do that scheduled 'visits' to offices thing you mentioned elsewhere.

K

kytoothdude

Reaction score
mini van set up to do r&r?

thetoothfarie

thetoothfarie

Reaction score
Here's a thought...

Get a small van and turn it into a mobile lab. You could do repairs and relines on site.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I would think a repair/reline lab could do real well. As big a pain as it is for 'regular' labs because it breaks up the flow, it could be a boon for someone set up to do only that. Something you might want to add to your "repertoire' is duplicate dentures, especially if you do that scheduled 'visits' to offices thing you mentioned elsewhere.

I think it would work too, just have to jump off the high dive. I like your idea about dup dentures. I'm just guessing that most of the ones who would even want a rent a tech would mostly want dups, trays, models trimmed and mounted and tooth setups. Of course repairs too. The two ideas may not work together and may have to do one or the other. )My thought process can be tediously long.....) Thanks

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
kytoothdude and the toothfairy,

Long ago before I opened my lab, I had considered this, however the overhead would be high and stress would be out the roof as front desk comes out to check on you every 5 minutes and then another repair shows up 2 minutes before lunch which gets passed on to me to hurry and repair with pt. sitting in car staring at you or worse yet coming in van and giving you tips :) I think I'd rather do a morning and afternoon pickup and delivery. I appreciate the ideas!

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
kytoothdude and the toothfairy,

Long ago before I opened my lab, I had considered this, however the overhead would be high and stress would be out the roof as front desk comes out to check on you every 5 minutes and then another repair shows up 2 minutes before lunch which gets passed on to me to hurry and repair with pt. sitting in car staring at you or worse yet coming in van and giving you tips :) I think I'd rather do a morning and afternoon pickup and delivery. I appreciate the ideas!

One time I thought about buying an ambulance and doing this, but for all the reasons you stated above I decided not to.....

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
One time I thought about buying an ambulance and doing this, but for all the reasons you stated above I decided not to.....

There's a young doctor here in town who bought one of those old Victorian homes, restored it and made a doctors office out of it. He also does house calls and bought, restored one of those old ambulances that look like a hearse
to travel in. Looked cool but looks like the makings of a good ghost story to me!