Is 2012 the year of crap?

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
This year has been a great year for business at our lab, but man I am struggling with our cad cam side of things. I finally got the 2012 version of 3shape and I am running the .4 version and it is just a load of crap. I thought it was nice when I first got it but it isn't. I upgraded my cam software to the 4.0 with B&D's for my origin milling machines and it is a load of crap, they totally screwed up with that nesting software. It won't let me highlight the anatomy like I am suppose to, my fits are freaking horrible, it has totally just stopped milling the anatomy and looks like crap now. I just feel like any time I try to keep up with things it is always something that holds you back!

Is anyone else out there running the 4.0 cam software? Is it that bad or am I just the unluckiest person in the world?

I am ready to just go back to the stone ages and work with what I had. I reverted back to my .35 cam software and it blows the 4.0 out of the water. It doesn't do as much but the end product is so much better!

ed 3

ed 3

Reaction score
This year has been a great year for business at our lab, but man I am struggling with our cad cam side of things. I finally got the 2012 version of 3shape and I am running the .4 version and it is just a load of crap. I thought it was nice when I first got it but it isn't. I upgraded my cam software to the 4.0 with B&D's for my origin milling machines and it is a load of crap, they totally screwed up with that nesting software. It won't let me highlight the anatomy like I am suppose to, my fits are freaking horrible, it has totally just stopped milling the anatomy and looks like crap now. I just feel like any time I try to keep up with things it is always something that holds you back!

Is anyone else out there running the 4.0 cam software? Is it that bad or am I just the unluckiest person in the world?

I am ready to just go back to the stone ages and work with what I had. I reverted back to my .35 cam software and it blows the 4.0 out of the water. It doesn't do as much but the end product is so much better!

Welcome to the world of reality. We had similar story whith our scanner and software. Now they collecting dust. STOP looking to the shiny photos in LMT magazine!

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I've lost over $250k playing and failing.

Recently want to jump off bridge.

About $50k a year I piss away somehow.

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
I feel ya, we have invested just about 300K with in the last year on cad/cam and we keep going backwards with these D@#M updates!

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I'm thinking about investing in one of those scanners Scott has. Looks like a solid setup and exocad eliminates all those insane headaches I keep hearing about with other systems.

JayH

JayH

Geek
Reaction score
Find a version that works relatively well, that you can be familiar and comfortable with its quirks and settle on it. Don't upgrade until you develop a functional test plan for upgrades and you have a version that passes the test plan. We're currently settled on 2.7.8.2. As I understand it, any of the 2012's after 2.7.8.2 are exhibiting some unusual undocumented features...

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I've lost over $250k playing and failing.

Recently want to jump off bridge.

About $50k a year I piss away somehow.

Scott,

I've known of dentists and lab techs both that have done just that over reasons like you're giving. We are in arguably one of the most stressful professions.
I'm not much of a risk taker so my advice will be different than others with different experiences but I would say you don't have to be everything to everybody. Specialize in just one thing and do that really well. I'd let someone else test drive the new models and go with the stuff that has been out for awhile and works (costs less too). I know you're just joking around but in case you're not, that's my perspective.

Y

YMS96

Reaction score

What exactly do you hate about the 2012 3Shape software? You do know you can operate within the 2010 designer still right?

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
no joke

stress x 10

Then I have two words for you. Business plan. I don't know about your situation except for what I read here, which sounds like you are trying to do it all. If
I were in your position, I'd take all of my paperwork over to your local SBA (Small Business Administration) and let the experts there go over it. Then I would take a serious look at the money leaks and plug them all (cut off deabeats and file with small claims and send back any new toys that are still able to be refunded.) Make work hours and stick to them.
If it were myself, I would scale back to you, your wife and one or two other employees and take a part time job at McD's if needed to get that under control.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Whether in war, or technology, its the point man whose going to take the hits. Im glad my P*O*S reseller Dentsply hasnt let me have the 2012 yet. Scott...I read all your comments on this site, and with my limited window into your world, Im both envious...and fearful. I cant believe how much youve got going on in your head. Mine would have been full long ago. Take a breather and step back just a little. You have alot going on, and alot to live for. Make it last.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
I'm running 2012 , version 2.7.8.4 currently and haven't had any major problems. It was a little buggy, but I believe we got it worked out. They actually came out with a 2.7.8.5 yesterday, on 4-24-12, but I haven't gotten it yet. My provider is waiting a couple of weeks to test it before he lets me have it. I've been running 2012 since it came out and I love it!