IOS Hand Held Scanner

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Well, we took delivery of our hand held lab scanner today. So far it seems to be a rocket ship, but the thing that has us most excited is the ability to scan big cases without taking the models off the articulator to fit things into the scanner. Just grab it, scan it, and GO!

Most scanners can do about 35-40 models per day. This should do many times that.

I predicted in an article three years ago, we'd have hand held lab scanners and nobody believed me....

ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_IMG00479_20120201_1518.jpg

ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_IMG00478_20120201_1436.jpg
ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_IMG00479_20120201_1518.jpg ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_IMG00478_20120201_1436.jpg

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Mark, is it just an intra oral scanner? Not that that's a negative, just curious. I wondered before why you couldn't just use one designed for digital impressions for the capture unit and just use different software.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Mark, is it just an intra oral scanner? Not that that's a negative, just curious. I wondered before why you couldn't just use one designed for digital impressions for the capture unit and just use different software.

That's more or less what it is. It's got a different frame and some other modifications.

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
This looks really nice Mark, are you guys doing the R&D for the scanner company or have you been given it to play with, Is it a single image grab or a fast frame graber (100x per sec)? looks loads of fun, have you tried to mill anything from it? Thanks Pete

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I agree. Hand held will be fun.

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I'm very jealous

That looks super cool dude! :cheer2:

What is limit of triangles?

Scan a really big thing. Full head?

Last edited:
Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
This looks really nice Mark, are you guys doing the R&D for the scanner company or have you been given it to play with, Is it a single image grab or a fast frame graber (100x per sec)? looks loads of fun, have you tried to mill anything from it? Thanks Pete

I bought it cash dollars. No testing, no loaner. This is a production unit, and I got the first one. We pull the data into the 3Shape designer and run with it. You can see all the specs on their website.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
cool

Last edited:
P

paulg100

Reaction score
Looks fine for smaller quadrants.

What happens you you want full arches with full arch opposing and full ghost image of wax up etc? Surely a dekstop unit that can capture a whole model has to be better for that.

Also looks like you still need powder? or does it scan diestone ok without?

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
Looks fine for smaller quadrants.

What happens you you want full arches with full arch opposing and full ghost image of wax up etc? Surely a dekstop unit that can capture a whole model has to be better for that.

Also looks like you still need powder? or does it scan diestone ok without?

Why could you not do a full arch?
scan the two arches then scan the bite on the buccal.
powder will be a thing of the past intra orally, unless your scanning an encode cap.

im with mark on everyone eventually using handhelds.
What happens when a spot gets missed on a desktop scanner? The software usually fills the holes right? Thats not so completely predictable. At least with a hand held unit we can see in real time what is being missed and can focus on it. provided the light source and camera is good the should produce a more accurate scan or at least more detailed. might take a little longer though joining the mesh together.

When are they going to be in Australia!?!

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"Why could you not do a full arch?"

From the video on their site it looks like the maximum scan is the cameras field of view which is about the size of a quadrant?

Im assuming that you would then need to scan the seperate quads then the software will stich the scans together to make a full arch?

Im just going by the video on their site, if hard to see if this is how it works.

If im right then its an adjunct to a desktop scanner.

Use desktop for larger cases, and hand held for speed on smaller cases.

which is fine if you can afford 2 scanners.

Last edited:
Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
You might be right Paul. I didn't watch the video.

amadent

amadent

http://amadent.net/Home.p
Reaction score
Mark - looks pretty fancy -good luck
perhaps after you and your team gets it under you belts you could post a small video
to show us all how it works in a real lab setting

best of luck with the newest of new toys

Greg Amendola MDT

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
I like it! I wonder what the techs arm feels like after scanning in 50 of those a day.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
No powder necessary so far. Full arches are no problem. The scanner is no heavier than a handpiece as far as I can see. I don't really see much of a downside to this technology at all. We are having a little tiny cart made for it so it can be wheeled all over the lab and shared by multiple departments. With our new 720 inch workstations, desk top real estate is at a premium.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
(Wait untill someone drops it....)

You should have it hanging from ceiling on limited legnth line of some sorts.
Or make Lithium battery-pack and bluetooth technology to go wireless.

That's the nest step!

I'll wait for the wireless version.

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score

No you won't. You and Luigi will make your own version with a cool paint job and a bracket you rigged from some left-over parts in the basement. And, you will be able to scan entire, albeit small, motorcycles. We know you, Scott, and I will keep drooling over your amazing "toys!"

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
(Wait untill someone drops it....)

You should have it hanging from ceiling on limited legnth line of some sorts.
Or make Lithium battery-pack and bluetooth technology to go wireless.

That's the nest step!

I'm the kind of guy who likes to leave my vehicles stock, and maintain them meticulously until they have paid for themselves and out of waranty. Then, and only then will we start to think about playing with things, but in the meantime, I'm all about getting the most from my investment and making as much money as possible.

I'll keep you posted as to how this unit does for us.

j_marks101

j_marks101

Reaction score
Mark I'd love to try the scanner. Just completed our first completely digital Valplast case for a Doc in CA that has IOS FastScan, had Glidewell print the models then we used 3Shape to design and print the Valplast baseplate. The case went perfectly without a single adjustment during try-in or delivery of the final restoration. Can't wait to do more removables cases with this technology!

L

LifeLike

Reaction score
Very cool , but I wonder if the constant exposure to the light beams will have any effect on the operators skin .