IOS as sole scanner?

R

rkycdt

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone that offered up insight on my last post. Thank you especially Dentalmike. It has all been so helpful and greatly appreciated.

My question now is: If IOS is the next new thing, can I skip the desktop scanner and simply use an IOS to scan models? I've managed to find some discussions on using an IOS to scan impressions but nothing about models.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone that offered up insight on my last post. Thank you especially Dentalmike. It has all been so helpful and greatly appreciated.

My question now is: If IOS is the next new thing, can I skip the desktop scanner and simply use an IOS to scan models? I've managed to find some discussions on using an IOS to scan impressions but nothing about models.
yes you can. it's not hands free which has it's advantages but it can scan anything.
I use my Trios to scan cases mounted on my Stratos.

C

charles007

Reaction score
To broaden the question, for a lab who hasn't bought a desktop lab scanner is it a better idea to buy IOS over desktop. The
IOS does cost more if your only talking about scanner, computer and scan software that included. (Some IOS scanners are very expensive. ) Some of us using lab scanners scan solid model then scan dies separately, can this technique be done with IOS alone ? Having worked with a few IOS cases but not using the IOS scanner I could see how it might be possible to get better scans from models but maybe I'm wrong ? (In this question, add in scanning impressions and printing models. )
Which scans faster, IOS or desktop if there's much difference? Lets say using IOS Medit i500 or Trios compared to desktops lab scanners like the newer Medit or 3Shape. Maybe its a bad idea to think any lab would want to use IOS on everyday cases compared to the newer faster desktop scanners ?
Just curious

R

rkycdt

Reaction score
I appreciate the added questions above. Is it a better idea to start with a desktop having never worked with either?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
"Which scans faster, IOS or desktop if there's much difference? "
It will always be faster if the Ios is sent from the dentist.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the added questions above. Is it a better idea to start with a desktop having never worked with either?
As a lab, I'd say desktop for sure, for price and speed. If you're going to use it for marketing, study clubs, introducing the digital workflows to new Docs then I'd say ios. However, the truth is, it's your first scanner...new to digital, I'd go desktop. Maybe make the next one be ios in my opinion.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score

An IOS allows you to help your church clinic scan patients.

Top Bottom