IDS Cologne News and Info

P

paulg100

Reaction score
Well since theres bound to be tons of new info coming out of IDS over the next few days, I thought id take the initiative and start a thread where we can post any interesting info.

To start it off some good news taken from dentalproductsreport,
FINALLY there is some hope for some sort of standard in dental cad/cam:

"3M, Straumann adopt Dental Wings software

Dental Wings, 3M ESPE and Straumann join forces to establish open global standard software for the dental industry. 3M ESPE and Straumann are also working to connect Lava C.O.S. to Straumann CARES CAD/CAM System for streamlined digital workflow for restorative dentistry."

More Here: 3M, Straumann adopt Dental Wings software - DentalProductsReport.com

If anyone has more info that might be of interest to others then please post,

Thank you.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Please PM me any info about the ICM Mach IV milling machine. I'm talking about the Mach IV that's already been released, not the newer one coming out later this year.......

Last edited:
Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
To start it off some good news taken from dentalproductsreport,
FINALLY there is some hope for some sort of standard in dental cad/cam:

What? Please explain to me what this "standard" is

T

Tooth Geek

Reaction score
Ivoclar to be releasing emax multiblock pressing system with special sprue former as well as Impulse milling blocks (hopefully including the accompanying shade guide).

P

paulg100

Reaction score
Well i guess a standard software suite that accepts open files and output to any cam unit / printer etc.

This means no more closed systems and no obsolete hardware after 5 minutes of buying it.

It makes sense for everyone to pool their resources into one development platform but TBH i think 3shape has already established its self as "the standard" and anyone else is gonna have to do a hell of a lot to catch them now, but we shall see.

Maybe more a case that 3M and Straumann realize they have dropped the ball and the only way they can catch up is to group together....

Since 3M have shifted LAVA on to Jensen, it looks like they have milked the brand for what its worth and are ready to move on anyway.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up tooth geek.

IPS e.max Press Multi

Is the the end of posterior AND anterior layering for stock vita shades, i think it may well be, very excited about this.

Been milling multi layered empress for some time and you can get some real nice stain and glaze results using those blocks.

Hopefully you can press more than 1 unit in a ring.

:great find doug

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
The all new DentalWings/3M ESPE Lava software is going to put up a good fight against the 3shape.

The scanner is 10x better and faster.
The new software is 64bit running Windows 7 and you can build your own computer.

The speed and functions and accuracy will smash the 3shape stuff IMO.

Then, look at the lower price! It's a no brainer.
The system can/has/and will make open stl files.

3M is not done by any means, and they just proved it by droping a lot of $$ and R&D on this new software and scanner. They have new materials coming down the river as well.

Last edited:
ed 3

ed 3

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up tooth geek.

IPS e.max Press Multi

Is the the end of posterior AND anterior layering for stock vita shades, i think it may well be, very excited about this.

Been milling multi layered empress for some time and you can get some real nice stain and glaze results using those blocks.

Hopefully you can press more than 1 unit in a ring.

:great find doug

Ivoclar ROCKS!!!!!!!!

I am pressing two or tree units per ring. When you investing three crowns just add 1/2 of ingot on top of another. But if you doing proper wax up you can easily put two crowns at ones.
Regards,Ed.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Copenhagen, March 22, 2011 - There was electricity in the air as 3Shape launched its TRIOS® intraoral impression-taking solution on the opening day of the International Dental Show (IDS) in Cologne Germany.

3Shape's slogan "It all starts with a good impression" was right on target when TRIOS® was unveiled. 3Shape TRIOS® radiates an aura of high-technology in a sleek and elegant design seldom seen in dental clinic equipment. When 3Shape presented the solution's key features, it became clear why TRIOS® is defined as "Next-Generation" impression-taking technology.

Spray-free and easy to use
One of the most notable TRIOS® features was that scanning does not require dentists to apply spray to coat the patient's teeth, making scanning with TRIOS® a fast and patient-comfortable process that doesn't ruin scan accuracy by adding material to teeth surfaces.

TRIOS demonstrates accuracy and speed
3Shape introduced its new Ultrafast Optical Sectioning technology that utilizes up to 1000 3D pictures to create true geometries, based on real data, rather than artificially forming interpolated surfaces as seen on too many other systems. The scanner captures over 3000 2D images per second, which is 100 times faster than a conventional video camera.

Watching the impression being built on the screen
The cart's large bright screen displays a real-time 3D visualization of the impression being built up during scanning. TRIOS® images remain in sharp focus while moving the scanner across the teeth, and the tip can be rested on the teeth during scanning. 3Shape demonstrated a smart TRIOS® feature - a motion sensor interface that enables the hand-held to virtually rotate and turn the digital impression like a gaming controller.

Strong software support
The TRIOS® user interface is very clean and intuitive, and the large Smart-Touch screen makes operation handy for dentists. Large buttons take the dentist through the complete workflow starting with order creation and ending with dispatching the digital impression to the lab. The software contains state-of-the-art technologies including alignment of occlusion and clinical-validation of impression quality before sending to the lab.

3Shape's whole solution approach is unique
Unlike many other intraoral impression-taking solutions, 3Shape does not attempt to bind digital impression taking with chair-side milling. Instead, 3Shape bases its digital impression solution on easy and efficient dentist-lab cooperation. This is supported through flexible output that is immediately available for the lab plus advanced lab-dentist communication features. Dentists can enjoy the large range of indications, design expertise and material-manufacturing flexibility provided by dental laboratories while spending more profitable time treating patients.

On-line communication with the lab
Dentists can preview 3D lab designs on the TRIOS screen, evaluate and agree on margin lines, access virtual diagnostic wax-ups and generally discuss cases with labs and patients when convenient.

Summing up
In TRIOS®, 3Shape has addressed and solved many technical issues that have been hampering a number of previous intraoral solutions from making their breakthrough in the market, such as spraying, inaccurate scanning - plus practical annoyances such as inflexible output that is bound to specific services or to chair-side milling.

"3Shape hit the nail on the head with its first press event of this year's IDS," says Robin Goodman, Group Editor of the Dental Tribune. "3Shape gave a concise and enthusiastic presentation as we learned about the unique market differences of the new intraoral digital impression scanner, TRIOS."

3Shape demonstrated at IDS 2011 that TRIOS® is exactly what it says: a next-generation impression solution and a brilliant stand-out in the market.

T

Tooth Geek

Reaction score
Emax press custom implant abutments now has the tick of approval....hmm should make things interesting.

T

thewhitelab

Reaction score
Emax press custom implant abutments now has the tick of approval....hmm should make thing interesting.
by this do you mean stock abutments waxed over then pressed and cemented?

G

groovygirl

Reaction score
Thanks for all the buzz....bottomline is the customer support/service from 3 shape @#$%and will never catch up, being in the states why do I have to call outside to get a real answer....that is what matters....and not passing the buck off to a reseller....keep it...

Slipstream

Slipstream

Reaction score
The new 3Shape trios is superbly easy to use, they were running a competition to scan a single prep and opposing - if you were over 100 seconds, you had no chance of placing - and thats a powder free scan.

Game changer? Maybe, I noticed the price on some of the older 2nd Generation machines had dropped considerably.

Colin

Slipstream

Slipstream

Reaction score
Best laugh - Chinese made patient education models - clinically horribly - but could give a patient at least a basic idea what the dentist was intending - 4 implant replicas on an acrylic base with a a full upper denture and a locater replica - $700 (equiv) - dunno what currency they started the calculation with but it wasn't worth $70.

Eh, yeh, I'll call you.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
The Trios does look really slick, does the powder free claim actually hold true though??

Ive tried the iTero first hand which is also powder free and that did what it said off a denture model with shiney teeth.

E4d was meant to be powder free and that turned out to be bull.

C

chrisb

Reaction score
pink composites for intraoral use
milled secondary structures
3shape intraoral scanner is amazing
heraus and others also have new intraoral scanners
advances in additive technology, co/cr and ti for implant suprastructures
sla dentures

Slipstream

Slipstream

Reaction score
The Trios does look really slick, does the powder free claim actually hold true though??

Ive tried the iTero first hand which is also powder free and that did what it said off a denture model with shiney teeth.

E4d was meant to be powder free and that turned out to be bull.

Scans I did seemed pretty good given they were random pieces not 3Shape's chosen ones, including a super shiny glazed Opalite full contour on one of our models.

Touchscreen is a nice feature and I am sure easier to clean than a keyboard in the sterile land of surgeries, battery operation means you can push it between surgeries without a reboot or needing a dedicated scan room.

Colin

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
The all new DentalWings/3M ESPE Lava software is going to put up a good fight against the 3shape.

The scanner is 10x better and faster.3M is not done by any means, and they just proved it by droping a lot of $$ and R&D on this new software and scanner. They have new materials coming down the river as well.

Poppy****.

We have 3Shape, DW and Lava scanners, and the 3Shape is worlds apart. I don't know where you get all this boloney Scott. We use the 3Shape scanner and DelCam to run our Lava mill and would never consider anything else.

3M only went with the DentalWings because the 3Shape intraoral scanner is a huge threat to the COS. Purely political and a ANOTHER step backwards for Lava.

Top Bottom