Grey lines on emax crowns after pressing

M

Msteffen11

Reaction score
After deventing our EMAX, we are seeing grey lines in our crowns. Does anyone have any idea what is actually causing this and how we can possibly fix it???

TIA!!

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
After deventing our EMAX, we are seeing grey lines in our crowns. Does anyone have any idea what is actually causing this and how we can possibly fix it???

TIA!!

Got any pictures? We love pictures. I’ll page our Ivoclar guy for you. He’s awesome if he hasn’t been drinking.
@Patrick Coon

Thanks for the mention CRob!

As for the grey line, this happens where the material flows together from two different directions. We see this usually on bridges where you sprue to the retainers and as the material flows into the pontic and comes together the long crystals will turn and you get more translucency in that area.

It can also happen if you sprue too far down the axial wall on a molar and the material flows around the prep (mesially and distally) instead of over the prep and down the axial walls.

If you have some pictures you can attach, that will allow me to confirm this. If possible, leave the sprues attached and still attached to the button.

D

dandyfop

Reaction score
I second sprue position. Basically If you have the sprue coming straight down into the crown without any flairing out, the particles get aligned in a straight direction and allow light to penetrated deeper. This makes that section more translucent and therefore more grey. Making the sprue flair out before hitting the crown allows the particles to disperse more randomly.

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
I second sprue position. Basically If you have the sprue coming straight down into the crown without any flairing out, the particles get aligned in a straight direction and allow light to penetrated deeper. This makes that section more translucent and therefore more grey. Making the sprue flair out before hitting the crown allows the particles to disperse more randomly.
Have any pictures of an example? I always get a grey spot where the sprue is

D

dandyfop

Reaction score
Sorry I don't, but this is almost for sure the problem. I struggled with it a while back. It can be particularly pronounced on anteriors. I try to sprue slightly on the lingual, just to be safe, but a wide sprue base, though a pain to cut off, will significantly reduce the effect.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Traveling today, but when I get settled (tonight or tomorrow) I'll show some pics. There is also a tech tip video on our site (ivoclarvivafent.us) called eliminating the bullseye, where I explain and show some illustrations on the subject.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Traveling today, but when I get settled (tonight or tomorrow) I'll show some pics. There is also a tech tip video on our site (ivoclarvivafent.us) called eliminating the bullseye, where I explain and show some illustrations on the subject.

Ah, the annual Ivoclar Tropical Midwinter Cruise. Have a few cocktails for us working stiffs.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Ah, the annual Ivoclar Tropical Midwinter Cruise. Have a few cocktails for us working stiffs.
I wish! Left the house in Sarasota, just landed in Buffalo!
3a9889a496680314c751b11f579af557.jpg

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score

For me especially with the HTs, but not with the more opaque LTs

Need to check out Patrick's above link suggestion.

D

Darvoid

Reaction score
Thanks for the mention CRob!

As for the grey line, this happens where the material flows together from two different directions. We see this usually on bridges where you sprue to the retainers and as the material flows into the pontic and comes together the long crystals will turn and you get more translucency in that area.

It can also happen if you sprue too far down the axial wall on a molar and the material flows around the prep (mesially and distally) instead of over the prep and down the axial walls.

If you have some pictures you can attach, that will allow me to confirm this. If possible, leave the sprues attached and still attached to the button.
What is the solution to avoiding a translucent line on the Pontic? Thank you.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
What is the solution to avoiding a translucent line on the Pontic? Thank you.

Due to the nature of the material, I plan on layering a slight amount on the facial of bridges to take care of this.

If I try to change the position of my sprues (or add a sprue to the pontic) it will only change the position of the line, and could cause other issues resulting in a miss-press.

Top Bottom