Gold molar value

rs promotions

rs promotions

Reaction score
I was asked by a friend how much a gold crown is worth? I have no idea what the weight is but he says that it appears to be all gold (it was one that his mother had removed). What is a ball park estimate of the gold in an average molar?

Thanks

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Depends what percentage the gold, palladium, platinum and silver are contained within the gold crown. I'd say a refiner may give you about 20-50 dollars worth a gold crown. However, it's a very high percentage of gold, you may get more out of it, or if the crown's weight is heavy, you might get more too.

L

labdude

Reaction score
Sounds like another niche here??? Some type of harvesting???

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
is that friend a mortician?

rs promotions

rs promotions

Reaction score
No, he is a mechanic but now that you say that he has a lot of pliers in his tool box ????:D

L

labdude

Reaction score
I was just talking to denturist (william) this weekend about old dentures.
Could be passed on from family member to family member....al you need to do is reline!!!:D:D:D:D

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
is that friend a mortician?
At close to $1000 an oz I bet there is some of that going on.

Id bet there isnt a body buried in Mexico with gold in its mouth.

For 50% gold Im charging $30.56 per dwt and the crowns are anywhere from 2 to 3+ dwt.

Z

zena

Reaction score
hey here in Canada our estimate for a full Gold crown weighing about 5 grams is about $350 and the metal we use is Argedent 75

Last edited:
TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
hey here in Canada our estimate for a full Gold crown weighing about 5 grams is about $350 and the metal we use is Argedent 75

Why do you use such a high percentage of gold? You can get a High Noble Gold Crown using Argenco - 40, which is only 40 percent gold and 20 percent palladium......looks great and isn't so pricey.

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
At close to $1000 an oz I bet there is some of that going on.

Oh, you know it. Who at the funeral is going to tear open the superglued lips of Gran'pa Joe to see if his 4-unit gold bridge is still there?

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Oh, you know it. Who at the funeral is going to tear open the superglued lips of Gran'pa Joe to see if his 4-unit gold bridge is still there?

I thought I was bad but your a sick puppy. Too much Zappa and Pink Floyd and acid in your youth.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
That seems really high. I add .1 dwt per crn for the cut off and mark up my metal 30% plus I add the shipping and they dont usually go much over $100. A real heavy one may be max $150.
Brite Gold (for pfm's) is $55.27 dwt now and that is around 96% gold.
These prices are not todays prices but from when I got my last order in, mabey last week.
You must have a 100% mark up on metal.

Z

zena

Reaction score
You think my price is high yours to me seems like a bargain, but that is the estimate we give our Doctors on our full gold crowns obvisouly the less or more it weighs the price will differ.

Last edited:
Z

zena

Reaction score
Why do you use such a high percentage of gold? You can get a High Noble Gold Crown using Argenco - 40, which is only 40 percent gold and 20 percent palladium......looks great and isn't so pricey.
We have always used 75 for our full gold crowns in yellow when they want white full gold crowns we do it in 54 and our pfm's are also done with the 54 metal to.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
You think my price is high yours to me seems like a bargain, but that is the estimate we give our Doctors on our full gold crowns obvisouly the less or more it weighs the price will differ.
Ok Chick, we are talking about two different moneys Canadian and US dollars, thats where the difference is.

Pronto

Pronto

Reaction score
We use Argen's 75 for FGCs too. I got too many issues with lower content golds. The look super too.;)

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
We have always used 75 for our full gold crowns in yellow when they want white full gold crowns we do it in 54 and our pfm's are also done with the 54 metal to.

We use Argen's 75 for FGCs too. I got too many issues with lower content golds. The look super too.;)

You both are using alloys from Argen. I'm serious, you may get more full cast work if you offered a less percentage of gold. I offer Argenco 20 (20% gold, noble),Argenco 40 (40% gold w/20% Pd, High Noble),in addition I also offer Argenco 75 for only one purpose........ The Veteran Affairs requires if I do any full cast gold, that the content has to be at least 70% Gold. That's the only reason i offer it because it's a waste of money if you ask me. I do exactly what Al does, other than i add .2 grams to each full cast but just like he does, i also add 30% mark up. As for your white gold, try using W+, a noble metal, and handles really nice, only 120.00 dollars a ounce as well. Pretty much all this comes down to preference, I only share so maybe you can offer something different to your doc and get more full cast work. Full cast work is easy to me, takes 1/2 a day to knock out most full cast.

Pronto

Pronto

Reaction score
We use W+ for silver full coverage and P&Cs. Our accounts love the look of the 75 and don't complain about the cost. If they do we use the 40 but that is rare. About 25% of our work is FGCs in 75 or inlays in 77 type II.

D

docDeer

Reaction score
I know it's an old thread but anyway, here is the correct answer:

I add this answer because I found that thread while searching for information for my new dental works. I think that lots of people, like me, found that and are happy to learn more.

Gold 81.6%
Platinum 16.0%
Zinc 1.4%
Indium 0.5%
Iridium 0.1%
Niobium 0.4%

I know that because that information says my dentist bill and I found that information also on the internet.

I would say, based on that information, a gold crown is worth between $50 and $100. My dad had a very big crown, my crowns are smaller.

Regards, Richard from Texas