Glaze or Polish?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I find that the Wow polish does not give that mirror appearance to the zirc. , unlike zirconbrite.

Has anyone ever rubbed two glazed crowns together? It feels like there is sand paper in between. But they appear
glazed smooth.

I spray my glaze on with an air brush so I don't have a problem with beading on application. ;)

Thank you, ps2, I'll check into the Wow.

I called VH Technologies about the mirror effect, and he mentioned they were also getting requests from Drs about
that one after chair side adjusting (paste glazed fcz) and that they were trying to come up with a better polish,
but for now to try a med grit Diashine and go slow with the wheels or brushes. That conversation was awhile ago,
so I'm not sure if they came up with something by now.

Last edited:
Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Thanks Devon! Your procedure is almost identical to a presenter I saw who works at Lee Culp's lab.

DevonR

DevonR

Reaction score
Have you guys gotten complaints from your docs saying they don't like the look of polished full contour crowns 'in the mouth' ? In the mouth, does it look to shiny?

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I haven't done any yet this way. That is what initiated my post. They definitely have a different look to them....more "pearlized" or opalescence.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I find that the Wow polish does not give that mirror appearance to the zirc. , unlike zirconbrite.
------
------
;)

Just ordered the 10 gram with a brush direct from Indenco for around $55. She was willing to mail it for around $5.50
Patterson had the kit (also includes a blue wheel) for about $87. plus 10.75 for shipping.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
Your bench is waaay to clean :D Looks nice :)

What stain tray is that?

It's an old gc tray that came with a light cure stain system Years ago. I think it was called Orbit? The system is no longer. Had it in the closet for years. They should make the tray again, but they don't.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
It's an old gc tray that came with a light cure stain system Years ago. I think it was called Orbit? The system is no longer. Had it in the closet for years. They should make the tray again, but they don't.

Shofu, can't remember, made a really nice one years ago that I wish I would've bought 3 of. I really like the layout and well size and depth.

IMG_1161.JPG

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
Shofu, can't remember, made a really nice one years ago that I wish I would've bought 3 of. I really like the layout and well size and depth.

View attachment 25515

Add some liquid to those . Still have this old one too . The gc case plastic is crumbling, I think from the nasty
light cure fluid that was in the system.
IMG_0156.JPG

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Add some liquid to those . Still have this old one too . The gc case plastic is crumbling, I think from the nasty
light cure fluid that was in the system.
View attachment 25516

Nice looking tray.

It's my EX3 ILS powder stains, which I hardly ever use now that emax and FCZ are taking over. I'm going to clean it out and use it for my InSync stains.

denttech1960

denttech1960

Reaction score
One of my dentists asked me to polish his full contour Zi as it wears at the same rate as gold (when polished),as soon as it is glazed the crown somehow becomes harder and wears the opposing dentition? Not sure how that would happen and not sure how Zi is as soft as gold??

I believe he said Dr. Christenson mentioned this in a lecture.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
Brent Harvey

Brent Harvey

Reaction score
One of my dentists asked me to polish his full contour Zi as it wears at the same rate as gold (when polished),as soon as it is glazed the crown somehow becomes harder and wears the opposing dentition? Not sure how that would happen and not sure how Zi is as soft as gold??

I believe he said Dr. Christenson mentioned this in a lecture.

Thanks for your imput.
hes on the right track however not correct. Zirconia by itself is very abrasive, so polishing the occlusion will keep it from wearing the opposing. Glaze will work as well however the glaze will wear off in a year or 2.

denttech1960

denttech1960

Reaction score
Just a thought...Would it help if Zirliner was applied instead of glaze after polishing the occlusion? Would Zirliner wear off like the glaze?

Brent Harvey

Brent Harvey

Reaction score
All of those products wear off eventually, just polish the contact points for the opposing and the rest can be glazed. Those the only crucial polishing points.

denttech1960

denttech1960

Reaction score
Thanks, that is what I do now so I will continue as usual.