Glaze or Polish?

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Are you glazing your monolithic Zirconia or polishing? Glazing on the axial surfaces and just polishing the occlusals? This was brought up a couple of times at the Spectrum Day seminars in Chicago. A couple of presenters talked about how glaze will crack and wear off within three years.
The main reason I don't only polish is that I want to give the unit some flourecence which, other than the new Lava, is missing in zirconia. I don't mind polishing thru pinpoint contacts as they're so small and not going anywhere anytime soon...

Very light sandblasting like 2th said prior to glaze application. Check it out with a black light to see what a polished only crown looks like compared to one with fluo glaze. Could be a big problem for some patients in certain lighting enviroments but fine for Halloween...

Just sayin[emoji6]

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
The main reason I don't only polish is that I want to give the unit some flourecence which, other than the new Lava, is missing in zirconia. I don't mind polishing thru pinpoint contacts as they're so small and not going anywhere anytime soon...

Very light sandblasting like 2th said prior to glaze application. Check it out with a black light to see what a polished only crown looks like compared to one with fluo glaze. Could be a big problem for some patients in certain lighting enviroments but fine for Halloween...

Just sayin[emoji6]

Can't help but digress a bit.

We used to he the black light Halloween issue 40 ... 60 years then layered ceramic got better over the years. There are technicians skilled enough producing teeth like nature. Dentistry has digressed in the sense they have given up on the artistry of the crown .. to a material that initially they were glad to have it tooth colored. Now the requests are hand polished and 3d shades... With halos and translucency....etc. wat!!!!! And for less than a hundred... WAT!!!!

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Can't help but digress a bit.

We used to he the black light Halloween issue 40 ... 60 years then layered ceramic got better over the years. There are technicians skilled enough producing teeth like nature. Dentistry has digressed in the sense they have given up on the artistry of the crown .. to a material that initially they were glad to have it tooth colored. Now the requests are hand polished and 3d shades... With halos and translucency....etc. wat!!!!! And for less than a hundred... WAT!!!!
I hear ya!!! Just, given the choice to add this one rather critical element, seems worth my time and goal. Seems this issue has missed some attention and just trying to put it out there...

Hope it's a help to some, metamerism is our curse at times, flourecence need not be.

K

KIM

Reaction score
I see some discussion about lightly sandblasting monolithic ZR crowns before stain/glaze application....How many of you follow that practice?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Boy we sure are making a big deal out of something that is now considered a "commodity ". :rolleyes:

denttech1960

denttech1960

Reaction score
I always sandblast with 2 bars of pressure before staining and glazing. Better safe than sorry to have a clean surface to bond too.