GC lustre Paste

A

AL1

Reaction score
Looking for tips on how to use the new GC lustre paste kit. I have an anterior case from hell . No room but they want more trans translucency, Thought I would give the kit a try here. Unfortunately, the patient wants more done than is physically possible. what he really needs is more prep or ortho done on the preps.
I tried to explain to the Dr. but common sense isnt tought in dental school.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Do you have a pics, intraoral prepped, and or cast showing the area of concern?

C

charles007

Reaction score
Lustre Paste on emax/pfm, on the GC One Powder porcelain?

I've only used it once on a full contour emax, good stuff, but not the the cure all, just a thick stain............Not knowing what your trying to do, I would layer and maybe a touch-up with Lustre, if needed.....

A

AL1

Reaction score
This is a case I finished and got back to correct, I have about 2 days to fix it. I dont have pictures to post.
The patient wanted the restorations to look like the temps which I did. Its one of those cases where the patient doesnt need a dentist he needs a therapist.
I am just trying to improve the translucency a little. Right now I am down to about 9 tenths of mm 3 tenths of that is gold. They dont want them any thicker. I thought maybe a little violet or blue stain might help.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Sounds like Lustre is your only hope and you may want or need to fire two layers to hide the opaque. This will probably be an easy fix and you may need to do chair side staining.
Good Luck

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
I Hate when that happens, just like temps.....yeah right. It's the old addage, " give em what they want not what they ask for!"

L

leftee

Reaction score
I tried experimenting with the lustre set alot recently, so I might actually be able to add something to this discussion. I find that it does help, but like charles mentioned its not the cure all that the company wants you to believe. I find that applying with the blue or grey (depending on shade) just under the edge of the incisal leaving a small horizontal gap helps with the effect. Then slightly highlighting the interproximal edges and the incisal edges with white and/or value (L-V) helps create a better contrast without altering the overall value of the crown too much. But be gentle on the amount as too much can really ruin it all together. Overall it has its limits. Have you tried using internal stains and/ or violet opaque? I find that they offer a better translucency effect as they are internal. Adding a little violet opaque gradient on the incisal 1/3 greatly increases translucency. Only downsides is that it tends to lower the value a bit so you have to mix in incisal porcelain of a lighter value along with the normal shade composition to counter it a little. Hope any of what I said helps. My first post Wiii~!

A

AL1

Reaction score
unfortunately the case is done so my only option is external staining. I dont have time to strip off porcelain and do it over.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Sounds like a case that may need to be redone in all ceramic.

For pfm like was suggested you need an incisal opaque on the tip since the opaque is going to dictate the shade on thin crowns.

A

AL1

Reaction score
I did the best I could.I will know in a day or two. My next suggestion is going to be emax. This is one of those cases where the translucency of the temps is hard to match with such thin porcelain.