FZC shading tips

• Thread starter Brett Hansen CDT
  • Start date
Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
One of my docs was asking me about how to get a better shade match on our monolithic Zir crowns. We have had some of our docs go one shade darker to compensate for the opacity of the monolithilic zirconia crowns. Do you guys have any other suggestions?

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Pre shaded Zirc Blanks...

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
What zirconia are you using??

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I use Scott at ***. I don't have an issue with the shading of the zir crowns. It is the opacity level of zirconia that makes it tough to match natural teeth I think.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Pre shaded Zirc Blanks...

marcus, i've always found the preshaded discs and blocks to be very far from translucent. do you have a specific manufacturer in mind that i should try? i've tried Heaney and Talladium preshaded pucks and they both look terrible.

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
It has a real pearl look to it! My opinion is I don't like it.... I can send you a sample of mine just to show you what we work with?

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
This isn't a problem with the Zirconia. It is the nature of the material...it is more opaque than HT e.Max which we use for our posterior monolithics. I am just wondering about staining a crown a bit darker than say a B3 to better match natural B3 dentition.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Watch the video at CAP acadamy.The secret is in there.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Use modifiers to give the illusion of translucency...

C

charles007

Reaction score
Would like to hear from someone with more experience than me.
I stain slightly darker and use GC Lustre........and use pre-colored disks which also helps on occlusal shading..not seeing the pearl look
Also not seeing the grey in the dentin shading that I saw all the time with FCZ ..

Or you could use CAP

subrisi

subrisi

Reaction score
I thought Monolithic ZI suppose to replace gold crowns. So why is he complaining? If he wants a natural color, don't do ZI

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Not complaining...just trying to get it the best it can be.

Adigitalsmile

Adigitalsmile

Reaction score
We discovered with the pre shaded zirconia that they came back more opaque then the ones dipped in color. We are currently using the Pearl full contour zirconia that CMC has.

C

charles007

Reaction score
We discovered with the pre shaded zirconia that they came back more opaque then the ones dipped in color. We are currently using the Pearl full contour zirconia that CMC has.

I tried several Pearl FCZ and I guess I'm a lot more critical than other labs that think Pearl looks good......

Adigitalsmile, send one crown to Tyler, if you don't think Tyler's work is better, Tyler can bill me for your crown....
Then both of you will owe me !

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
A couple little tricks I have learned along the way...

When dipping or staining we try and shoot for a shade darker then what is called because we have found that when crown is seated in the mouth it appears a shade lighter then when looking at it while in your hand.

When staining and glazing, hold up in front of black cloth or paper instead of your grey/white work bench. It will mimic the darkness of the mouth. We have found this works for us and people might think we are crazy but it works well for use.

We really try to stress the blues and lavenders when staining.

We have really good results, I think when it comes down to it I think it is all personal opinion. Most people see things differently then other and it is all about what works best for you. Every single person on this sight can use the same Zirconia and stain and glaze and they will all look differently. When you find something that works best for you take it and run with it. I use Bruxzir Material, and we love it we have all the techniques down and how to work the material and we have great results! I am holding on to the coat tails of old Jim Glidewell and plan on riding it till it crashes and burns.

Just my 2 cents :peace: