Free modifying merged parts in exocad

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
Im working on a case in exocad that had been previously designed and I am removing an implant site and also need to modify the previously designed emergence profile. The problem is after making the modifications and re-merging I can not sculpt to smooth the lines between abutment base and crowns and on the former implant site that I had to close a hole on, I can't smooth the connection between the where exocad filled the hole and the rest of the design.

Also where there was a gap between the design and the new emergence profile from the implant. The "filled area" of this gap will not let me sculpt on it at all.

Any advice?

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
If you're familiar with expert mode...Instead of free forming the merged restoration, you can try the edit mesh option (using the edit surface only button) cut out those areas and use the delete key on the keyboard. Then close the holes. This way you're not re-merging the crown ( which sometimes will leave gaps during the re-merge.) That can smooth things out better and work ok ...sometimes,

If it doesn't , then save a scene as an stl of the original design ( only the jawscan and full contour shell minus all other parts- also cut out mesh on the jawscan under the full contour shell) Then just start a new project as the new design you want (that will include the new emergence profile.) In Expert mode , Bring in the stl that you saved as a preop and align it. Then you run through it quickly adapting the new design to the preop of the original

Sounds like a PITA and "clear as mud" , lol , But it only takes about 5 minutes, And you'll be able fine tune everything in the new project BEFORE it's merged...

Last edited:
npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
If you're familiar with expert mode...Instead of free forming the merged restoration, you can try the edit mesh option (using the edit surface only button) cut out those areas and use the delete key on the keyboard. Then close the holes. This way you're not re-merging the crown ( which sometimes will leave gaps during the re-merge.) That can smooth things out better and work ok ...sometimes,

If it doesn't , then save a scene as an stl of the original design ( only the jawscan and full contour shell minus all other parts- also cut out mesh on the jawscan under the full contour shell) Then just start a new project as the new design you want (that will include the new emergence profile.) In Expert mode , Bring in the stl that you saved as a preop and align it. Then you run through it quickly adapting the new design to the preop of the original

Sounds like a PITA and "clear as mud" , lol , But it only takes about 5 minutes, And you'll be able fine tune everything in the new project BEFORE it's merged...
I did give using the mesh editor a try to clean up these areas with the described method, unfortunately despite having the "edit surface only" button selected it kept selecting a piece of the internal geometry of the ti base interface. Also the former implant site that I turned into a pontic still won't allow me to free form the border of the hole, which I used the edit mesh tool to fill. It seems exocad doesn't allow the actual merge lines of to objects to be smoothly edited?

Something along these lines was going to be my next effort if I couldn't do the sculpting I wanted to, thank you for the tips!

Top Bottom