FormLabs2 - Printing castable patterns

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Anyone willing to share the settings they are using within 3Shape to get a good fit? We printed a few over the weekend and they are really tight on the dies.

In an aside - We've recently done a couple of cases (Trios and TruDef scans) for which we've milled FCZs and printed models and dies on the FormLabs2 with the new model resin. The crowns do not fit the dies. This is not a recurring issue which is what is stumping me. Anyone else seen this? Solutions?

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Did you download the DME file from formlabs.com? That is a starting point.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Did you download the DME file from formlabs.com? That is a starting point.

I see .dme files for the printed models, but not for the printed copings. These cases were scanned stone models. What I did is use the same parameters that I've been using but without drill compensation. The printed patterns will not seat on the stone dies - about 1mm short of the margin all the way around...

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
print a part withknown dimensions like a cube or hex pyramid. measure known dimensions. compare to known dimensions. adjust your printer to compensate.

J

Jen Corneille

Reaction score
Hi there! I've been printing with castable resin and I found that I need to scale up the patterns in formlabs to 1.030. The fit is great! Now I just need to get a clean casting. Any advice there? I

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
print a part withknown dimensions like a cube or hex pyramid. measure known dimensions. compare to known dimensions. adjust your printer to compensate.
Thanks but I'm just looking for die spacer parameters...

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
what i am saying is your z axis may be too short. if so, no matter what your spacer is, nothing will fit.

J

Jen Corneille

Reaction score
I tried the die spacer settings first. That didn't work. The fits were worse.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
What resin, blue castable or grey?

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I did 0.02 margin 0.p6 extra and a drill comp or .35 and a radius of .35. Got good fits there, that can be a starting point. What curing unit are you using?

J

Jen Corneille

Reaction score
I'll try those settings too! Thanks! I have a home made unit It works for now but I'll be ordering the curebox asap. Takes about 8 hours to cure full crowns. What investment are you using? Are you doing extended burnout?

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
I did 0.02 margin 0.p6 extra and a drill comp or .35 and a radius of .35. Got good fits there, that can be a starting point. What curing unit are you using?

I'll give that a try - thanks

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I'll try those settings too! Thanks! I have a home made unit It works for now but I'll be ordering the curebox asap. Takes about 8 hours to cure full crowns. What investment are you using? Are you doing extended burnout?
I'm still struggling as well. It my fits ate near dialed in, form has a special. Burn out process, and the investment is the other tricky issue. Also grey resin might be the better resin to use. There is a face book group for forms printing. There is two one specifically for dental and the other ones is a general, but mainly dental is on there as well.

As for the curing unit, that is our issue, we don't have a 405nm wave length unit, gc labolight is good, nextdent has a great one, but forms is to release the formscure next month.

Last edited:
J

Jen Corneille

Reaction score
Misery loves company! I have managed to avoid Facebook. I'm not a member. Just socially shy.

I found a light on amazon and it works in combination with a coffee cup heater for heat. I'll send pictures if you'd like.
The curebox from wicked engineering will save some money and the doctors that are curing with it praise it.

I haven't tried burning out the grey although the fits were easier to dial in.

I've managed to get a couple of emax units to press with speed but not very clean. I got a sample of resin vest from whip mix and got a casting completed but not very clean even with extended burnout.

I'm rethinking Facebook.
Thanks for sharing!

LGTCDT

LGTCDT

Reaction score
We struggled with a Formlab II for a couple of months and finally decided to sell it on ebay and move back to milling castables until a better printer hits.
Would love to get a Carbon printer but ROI not there for me yet.

J

Jen Corneille

Reaction score
Yeah, I've been watching the carbon as well. Not in my budget yet.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Carbons are fast but have a significantly small build plate and lease for 50k a year and you never own it.