Finally tried e.max....

D

DeVreugd

Reaction score
This is my first case using e.max...... Looking forward to many more!
Cases.016.jpg Cases.017.jpg Cases.023.jpg Cases.024.jpg Cases.026.jpg

amadent

amadent

http://amadent.net/Home.p
Reaction score
Nicely Done
look forward to seeing the posteriors :D

August Bruguera book- Shades - A World Of Colour, is great

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Nicely Done Dr. Russ. Love the photos and layout. Was this a template you made up?

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
very nice results! for your first run with e.max, i would say that is an exceptional job. was the August Brugera publication the e.max ceram special edition that you used for the layering? he is into the "sprinkle" technique when doing his wash fires and it works great!

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Gorgeous work Russ......nice to have you back.
I hope your transition to N.C. wasn't too bad, 27F tonight here in Michigan if it makes you feel any better.

I wonder if the sprinkle technique is more used for the layering porcelain retention, the way it refracts and disperses the light or something else? Hell of a case for your first, and a hell of a result too....great job!!!!!

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
I wonder if the sprinkle technique is more used for the layering porcelain retention, the way it refracts and disperses the light or something else? /QUOTE]

the "sprinkle" technique is only used for the layering technique. couple reasons, like you stated it helps the light transition in and bounce around more, giving a more esthetic result and also sprinkling takes up very little room for the wash bake leaving more room for regular layering.

D

DeVreugd

Reaction score
Nicely Done
look forward to seeing the posteriors :D

August Bruguera book- Shades - A World Of Colour, is great

Thanks amadent! Posteriors will be done in Jan. or Feb.

I have his book,"Invisible, Esthetic Ceramic Restorations"

D

DeVreugd

Reaction score
Nicely Done Dr. Russ. Love the photos and layout. Was this a template you made up?

Sorry, not a Dr.... Thanks for your kind words. The template was done by Greg Cayer.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Sorry, not a Dr.... Thanks for your kind words. The template was done by Greg Cayer.

Russ your very humble. I knew you were gonna say that. The reason for addressing you as doctor is the respect you've earned. I remembered being called that on several occasions while presenting overseas and I responded the same way. In almost every part of the world technicians are held in an elite status and referred to as doctor. I have been called that domestically by some Docs and it wasn't in a facetious way either. You have been a resource to many because of your vast knowledge. And it is with due respect.

JonB

JonB

Reaction score
Short of going out and buying Mr. Bruguera's books (which I will do as soon as I am done posting this) could you define the sprinkle technique? Is it similar to the ceramco ultra-pake crystal sprinkle they had?

Very nice looking work, Russ - I am always impressed!

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
Short of going out and buying Mr. Bruguera's books (which I will do as soon as I am done posting this) could you define the sprinkle technique? Is it similar to the ceramco ultra-pake crystal sprinkle they had?

Very nice looking work, Russ - I am always impressed!

yes it is similar. the sprinkle technique works really nice as the initial wash bake with e.max. it does a couple things for you: by doing the sprinkle for the wash you take up very little space (compared to do doing a regular wash bake). you can use pretty much any e.max powder for the sprinkle/wash - opal effects, incisal, neutral. i personally like the opal effect 1 or 2. it also helps the light "bounce" around a bit more internally, making things even more esthetic. just wet the restoration with stain/glaze liquid then dip a DRY brush into your powder of choice & tap the powder on. tap off any excess & fire. then you can do a standard incisal layering.

D

DeVreugd

Reaction score
yes it is similar. the sprinkle technique works really nice as the initial wash bake with e.max. it does a couple things for you: by doing the sprinkle for the wash you take up very little space (compared to do doing a regular wash bake). you can use pretty much any e.max powder for the sprinkle/wash - opal effects, incisal, neutral. i personally like the opal effect 1 or 2. it also helps the light "bounce" around a bit more internally, making things even more esthetic. just wet the restoration with stain/glaze liquid then dip a DRY brush into your powder of choice & tap the powder on. tap off any excess & fire. then you can do a standard incisal layering.

Thanks Jon.....

Just finished an Oliver Brix Course and sixonice said it all ! He does not feel it makes any difference what porcelain you use. It is on so thin that it really can't influence the shade. We used neutral in the course. Here are a couple of pics from the Course exercise.
IMG_5582_2.jpg IMG_5585_2_2.jpg

Last edited:
Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
I am going to try the sprinkle technique today. I currently do a wash coat with glaze. A tube is what 40.00? This will save on material costs.