Emax are high in mouth

L

labwoman

Reaction score
I have a problem I make sure that the emax waxup is out of occlusiion for this doctor I have but he keeps complaining that they are high and he has to grind alot in the mouth. He called about 2 cases that were very high and he had to grind alot but his PFMs are going in fine with little adjustment. We use same materials and do everything the same for the models. Any advice.

L

labwoman

Reaction score
I have a problem I make sure that the emax waxup is out of occlusiion for this doctor I have but he keeps complaining that they are high and he has to grind alot in the mouth. He called about 2 cases that were very high and he had to grind alot but his PFMs are going in fine with little adjustment. We use same materials and do everything the same for the models. Any advice.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Take them out of occlusion for him. The only reason he's complaining is because he may be adjusting the PFM's as well, but the PFM's aren't noticed because feldspathic porcelain grinds like butter compared to e.max. e.max is like concrete, especially clinically when all you have is a slow staight handpiece. The office straight handpieces are like having your lab handpiece on the slowest setting possible.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Robs probably right.......grinding emax takes forever if its high.

To help solve your problem, try this.
Equilibrate your models----grind in! the bite will close down tighter
Be very abrasive with the models when moving in excursions with your articulating paper in the wax. Check again after pressing,,, use diamonds !!
Use a thicker articulating paper......try Bausch 100 double thickness..its 100 micron.......I'm still using free samples they sent me many many months ago....... doesn't leave false marks .
Something a doctor taught me many moons ago......after you finish the crown,before glazing, knock models off the articulator, then hand articulate to check again if the crown or bridge is high......... Kind of hard to do with quads.
Most of the time the crown will be a touch high....... this also catches the cases that were articulated incorrectly !!!
Almost forgot...use a couple coats of die hardner on the opposing teeth.
Trust me......this will help.....

Last edited:
C

charles007

Reaction score
If you use these techniques......knock models after waxing to recheck for high occlusion.......... Check again after pressing. ......
I use this technique everyday with my pfm......knock off before glazing to check for high crowns........and missed bites........

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Great suggestions Charles.......
You old schoolers (note I didn't say "timers" :) ) always have a plethora of tricks up your sleeves.

PGguy

PGguy

Reaction score
I make sure that 2 shimstocks can go through without resistance=no complaints. You cant recreate the exact bite on an quad, I hope your accounts know. It's probably hitting high on the working contacts eh? And there is nothing you can do about balancing on quads.

A

AL1

Reaction score
Are you using the peel off die spacer? Maybe there is not enough room for cement with the emaxes. Expansion could be different between your pfc`s and pressables so the crowns arent seating all the way. I have an account that sometimes takes a post seating xray to check margins. All I do for him is emax.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Great suggestions Charles.......
You old schoolers (note I didn't say "timers" :) ) always have a plethora of tricks up your sleeves.

Farm boy, bet you use more sticky wax than me !!! If you need to ask why... you need a few more years at your monkey bench.......

C

charles007

Reaction score
Ok Rob. one last trick.......

Years ago one of accounts told me my gold crowns seem to be higher in occlusion compared to porcelain..... Another close tech friend said the same about his docs......We came to the conclusion that gold marks differently than gold since we use the same articulating paper for both materials..
Now I use several (2 or 3) coats of die spacer on the opposing teeth for gold work...... I guess it works since he now requests it on his prescriptions........

Top Bottom