eMax Abutments

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Just had an account call upset because he had ordered an eMax abutment, but the one we provided was not "authentic". We used one of Glidewell's ti inserts, but he wants it made using a "genuine" UCLA abutment provided by the implant manufacturer. Well, this particular manufacturer doesn't make an insert, per se. I'm sure I can noodle it thought to get a wax pattern that can be pressed and then cemented to the UCLA abutment, but I'm worried there is not adequate vertical dimension and no real retention for the cement. One solution would be to cut the plastic screw chanber, cast it and then lute to the casting, but it seems that would be awfully expensive - not to mention metal shine-thru unless I opaque. I'm giving myself a headache...

Thoughts?

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Can you get a stock Ti abutment from this implant company? Then you just need to cut the abutment down to the point where you can wax a "custom abutment" to the cut down stock abutment. Press it in an MO ingot and then cement it to the cut down stock abutment.

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
Order a temp Titanium abutment and a separate surgical screw, the temp abutments are perfect for bonding emax crowns to them because of the machined surface (designed for composite retention). Surgeon gets an "Original" oem abutment and a surgical screw and you get a more retentive surface to bond to, Every ones happy.

Scotts studio

Scotts studio

Reaction score
K2 are you blocking out the grooves in the temp abutment? if so with what and do you clean grooves again for retention when you cement e-max crown?I know some are just grinding all the grooves off.

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
K2 are you blocking out the grooves in the temp abutment? if so with what and do you clean grooves again for retention when you cement e-max crown?I know some are just grinding all the grooves off.
Why would anyone grind the groves? No we dont touch it apart from droping the height. The software that we use blocks out the undercuts in the temp chamber so no need to go near it with wax. Works great as long as you provide the surgery screw.

keithw@vodamail.co.za

[email protected]

Reaction score
Hi Scotts studio, if you are hand waxing (like me no cad or mill)
Just use some c&b wax to block out grooves, make it nice and smooth, ie only filling in the grooves, you should cut an anti rotation "key" in the ti abutment.
Then use the light cure resin to make sleeve onto which you wax up your full contour crown.
Hope this makes sense.

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll give the temp cylinder idea a whirl...

Scotts studio

Scotts studio

Reaction score
Thanks Keith, just what i was looking for! some of us guys still do it the old fashion way,(with our boots on) ha! fancy scanner people!

annsman

annsman

Reaction score
Something I have been pondering too, and I have no problem with it. But if the Doc asks, is the Ti temp fda approved for a permenent restoration?

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
Something I have been pondering too, and I have no problem with it. But if the Doc asks, is the Ti temp fda approved for a permenent restoration?

need to find a supplier that has their dental implant parts ISO certification. I think *** just got it

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
Its all in the screw

The only part that is Temp is the screw, thats why you need to send a surgery screw. Some temp implants that are sold come with a short screw and were never designed for long term placement. The abutment has been made from the same Ti as the permenant abutments using the same milling peramiters by the same 10k cutters It is not a cheap fix once you have paid out for the permenant screw as well and will somtimes cost more than a 3rd party option. It just ticks the right box for some cases.

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
Hi all, I am doing a similiar case right now and have ordered a stock abutment to modify. Is there an advantage to making an abutment and cement to Ti, and then make crown to cement to abutment or, to just make crown and cement straight to stock ti.

Also just wondering what your thoughts are on firing Ti opaque to the stock abutment prior to waxing/pressing Do you think this would be contra to the bond.

thanks all
jeff

Last edited:
Z

ztech

Reaction score
I wonder more about the demand of the dentist. More of the implant manufacturers are offering lifetime warranty on their implants but will void the warranty if any part other than there restorative parts are used (see nobelbiocare). It seems they are trying to increase the bottom line by steering more business to the restorative side of their product line. This will be effective for the providers that want to market to the patient with a lifetime guarantee.

keithw@vodamail.co.za

[email protected]

Reaction score
Hi all, I am doing a similiar case right now and have ordered a stock abutment to modify. Is there an advantage to making an abutment and cement to Ti, and then make crown to cement to abutment or, to just make crown and cement straight to stock ti.

Also just wondering what your thoughts are on firing Ti opaque to the stock abutment prior to waxing/pressing Do you think this would be contra to the bond.

thanks all
jeff

Hi Jeppsta,
Many docs want access to the screw in case it loosens after a month or so and patient comes back to the doc to have it tightened. Ie crown straight to Ti stock abutment.
The doc likes to grind out a small composite plug then re torque and he doesn't have to cut the crown off etc.
I'm sure the screw loosening is not too common but I think the docs want the "get out of jail free card", so if you have the option, you could do it like this and tell the doc why, he will probably thank you for it.

For posteriors not necessary to opaque the abutment, press in LT, abutment won't affect color.
In anterior? Suppose would depend on space but you could press in MO and then layer and you would be sweet, again no need to opaque abutment.

That's my 2c.

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
Thanks for your explanation Keith, just to clarify technique, I would trim stock Ti abutment, wax and press Mo/Ho abutment to cement on Ti. Then make crown to cement to emax abutment. Keith do you make the crown with an access hole also for the above technique?

Sorry keith if I am a bit slow on the uptake but what is the advantage to doing abutment
then crown as opposed to crown straight to Ti ? Wouldn't both styles be retreivable?

cheers jeff

user name

user name

Reaction score
Doing an e.max abutment rather than just Ti allows greater control of emergence profile and makes a prettier abutment so youre not dealing with 'gray' show thru.

If your Doctor has an abutment come loose, he needs a new screw. You cant just retorque a used screw. You need virgin threads to deform into the abutment threads at the specified torque to get it to hold. Once its been snugged its been altered and wont hold at the same torque.

keithw@vodamail.co.za

[email protected]

Reaction score
Thanks for your explanation Keith, just to clarify technique, I would trim stock Ti abutment, wax and press Mo/Ho abutment to cement on Ti. Then make crown to cement to emax abutment. Keith do you make the crown with an access hole also for the above technique?

Sorry keith if I am a bit slow on the uptake but what is the advantage to doing abutment
then crown as opposed to crown straight to Ti ? Wouldn't both styles be retreivable?

cheers jeff

Hi Jeff,
I don't make in two separate units ie abutment and then crown.
I keep it simple and faster if just make full contour crown and bond to the Ti abutment, I follow Ivoclar manual for the technique and it works fine.

I think the only time I would make in two pieces ie the non retrievable crown way would be if the access hole was to be in an inconvenient or unaesthetic position.

What I think you are asking is if you could make abutment and then make a retrievable crown on the abutment, the result will be the same as making it in one piece except its probably double the work so I don't see the benefit to doing it this way.

You should see if you can get the manual for the emax abutment solutions from your Ivoclar rep, if not it may be online, I'm no expert on the technique, I just followed the manual and used the correct materials, got a good result, hope the above info helps.

Cheers Keith

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
Thanks to both keith and user name for clarifying this technique for me. I am now full bottle and ready to proceed confidently. Cheers guys. Jeff