cementation techniques

Hitdabox

Hitdabox

Reaction score
Hi all,

I wanted to know how you go about your cementation of implant retained zirconia restorations. I have my cement and bonding dialed but its the actual cementing that I feel could be easier with less back and forth. I am currently using a solid implant cast and cement directly on the cast which is fine but the more units with various draw angles poses difficulty when cementing with adjacent teeth etc, and if I just do one at a time, I get a slight differentiation when cementing the other abutment which ends up making me need to start over and its a serious pain. As you know, the only way to really start over is run the prosthesis in the oven again and burn out the cement and do it again... which I hate to do.

So a couple things.

What is your technique to make this more straight forward?
(Should I use an additional model with no tissue or adjacent teeth and do them that way? I've always chickened on that because I didn't want to buy more analogs but at this point it really seems best.)

If you need to make any change like a slight glaze or add on, is there a way to do it without running it up in the oven and breaking the cement bond? For this reason - I like UCLA PFG but it costs so much more. idk

Appreciate your insight and tips.

Thanks!

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
It is a PITA...

If I have divergent angles, I do one by one or two/three at a time, if they are of the same angle. Make sure everything fits passively, before you start the process. I always make sure everything is screwed down, even the ones I am not cementing. And when cementing the next batch, I screw down the ones I have cemented already. It is a tedious process and takes up a lot of time.

Or, make sure all your abutments are of the same path of insertion... I know that is not always possible, especially if you have a full arch.

Hitdabox

Hitdabox

Reaction score
Thanks! So always on the cast but only cement a couple at a time just confirming the rest seat as well. Do you use the same cast?

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Ideally, you would have a cast/model made from a verification jig. I aways cemente them on the model, be it individual crown or bridge.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
For cases where the insertion directions are not parallel or where the neighboring teeth contacts will cause issues with the insertion of the implant restorations, i make a decision during design on which unit/units need to be delivered first and I write that on the model. Typically, i have them deliver the most problematic unit first. Then I design the proximal contact of that unit to be parallel with the insertion direction of the proximal implant restoration. Once I get my view set up in 3 shape so I am parallel with the insertion direction of the neighboring implant, I use the plane cut tool on the proximal contact area.