Duplicating models

BeBe

BeBe

Reaction score
Looking for feedback on the pro's and con's of duplicating systems. Currently using silicone but find it's very expensive. Thank you for your feeback!

user name

user name

Reaction score
Save cut up chunks of used silicon to fill the bulky spots in your next mould.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
We have both Hydrocolloid and silicone duplicating machines, we use them both daily. Yes silicone is more expensive but its faster as well. We can dup a model from invest to set of stone in 20 min. Hydro takes 30 min to chill min

We use Zhermacks silicone in their auto dispensor and buy the 5 min set variety in bulk.

Works for us

BeBe

BeBe

Reaction score
Didn't think of doing this - thanks!

BeBe

BeBe

Reaction score
Will contact Zhermack today - thanks John!

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Be prepared the machine is expensive but its exceptionally convenient.

J

Jorge

Reaction score
We use Siladent pink silicone with mixing machine.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
We have both Hydrocolloid and silicone duplicating machines, we use them both daily. Yes silicone is more expensive but its faster as well. We can dup a model from invest to set of stone in 20 min. Hydro takes 30 min to chill min

We use Zhermacks silicone in their auto dispensor and buy the 5 min set variety in bulk.

Works for us

Ditto:)

SlowWater

SlowWater

Reaction score
I don't use silicone in removable, but I would like to point out that when using silicone for duplicating in partials (Cr-Co.) I always leave it after the model has been removed for 30 min to let the silicone return to the exact position and then pour the models. This way you lose 30 min, but the silicone is an exact replica of the model. But maybe you can skip this step in removable ?

Regards,

C

CPLZ

Reaction score
I am very happy with my Bego Gelovit hydrocolloid machine. However, I am not achieving some of the results others have spoken of here, namely, 25 remelts. I have been experimenting lately with different materials, and the best performing so far has been polyflex, averaging about a dozen remelts.

I would like to hear others and their opinions on how to achieve a greater number of remelts from their hydrocolloid.

I typically have to remelt about every 3-4 days, so I wonder if part of my issue may be degradation through time? Also, how much water are you adding at each remelt, currently I am adding 150ml, per instructions.

My handling of the material is to wash it after use, taking out as much stone as possible, blow it dry, chop it immediately and place it in the airtight container it was shipped to me in.

Thoughts would be appreciated.
Chip

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I am very happy with my Bego Gelovit hydrocolloid machine. However, I am not achieving some of the results others have spoken of here, namely, 25 remelts. I have been experimenting lately with different materials, and the best performing so far has been polyflex, averaging about a dozen remelts.

I would like to hear others and their opinions on how to achieve a greater number of remelts from their hydrocolloid.

I typically have to remelt about every 3-4 days, so I wonder if part of my issue may be degradation through time? Also, how much water are you adding at each remelt, currently I am adding 150ml, per instructions.

My handling of the material is to wash it after use, taking out as much stone as possible, blow it dry, chop it immediately and place it in the airtight container it was shipped to me in.

Thoughts would be appreciated.
Chip

It looks like you are doing everything by the book, if you are drying molds after you wash the stone derbies off of them I suggest you leave them wet. We add about half a cup of water at each melt. We use the bego material in ours.

We do not do short melts, meaning we only melt when all the material is gone from the machine.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I'm using something different but very similar. It's a food grade material, no smell, no gassing.

Silicone Rubber

The five minute molding putty.

Last edited:
AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Flipper that sure looks like the CDM putty, how hard is it. I mean can you ush you thum nail in it when it is set? That price is sure nice looking.
The Five Minute Mold Putty complies with FDA statndards and can be used with food grade applications. This is a great product for making that 'one off' needed piece or quick impression mold.
Can you make multiple molds in it? or does it crack when demolding?

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
The material comes in part A and B. Jars says ,"This FDA Compliant RTV Platinum Silicone Putty has a 10 minute cure time. Mix equal amounts and press putty over an item you wish to mold. Then cast with plaster etc...
I blocked out model and placed putty in disposible impression tray. The material is firm and has a slight smell. Don't know about using multiple times but it held up and was accurate. I ordered the 5 minute and got this,price was the same, guess it's what I ordered and it works for me. There's a phone # on the jar if you want it.

PS. the jar in the ad says 5minute on it but mine doesn't have it, same jar and label though and same price.

Last edited: