Do I need any sort of license in the US as Dental technician?

H.Ross

H.Ross

Reaction score
Title says it all. As some of you know, I am moving from Dubai to USA to work as a dental technician. Do I need any sort of license?

As far as I know becoming CDT or RDT is just a pros to your name (correct me if I am wrong?) and I've been told that an experienced dental technician can open his/her own dental lab without the need for license or being certified/registered, correct?

I just want to confirm with you guys to make sure I am on the right track.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Title says it all. As some of you know, I am moving from Dubai to USA to work as a dental technician. Do I need any sort of license?

As far as I know becoming CDT or RDT is just a pros to your name (correct me if I am wrong?) and I've been told that an experienced dental technician can open his/her own dental lab without the need for license or being certified/registered, correct?

I just want to confirm with you guys to make sure I am on the right track.
Depends on what state you are opening the lab in. It is a pretty unregulated industry here, but soon to change??

H.Ross

H.Ross

Reaction score
This is what I know so far, and Its too early for me to open a dental lab, so at the mean time being an employee is the only option for me. Thank you for the answer dear.

In Dubai we require license, without it you become an illegal dental technician, if they caught you then get ready for a 21000$ fine!

smilesatgalleria

smilesatgalleria

Reaction score
If you want to get certified dentist then you have to become member of american dental association and academy of general dentistry. It may increase your growth as a dentist.

H.Ross

H.Ross

Reaction score
If you want to get certified dentist then you have to become member of american dental association and academy of general dentistry. It may increase your growth as a dentist.

Thanks, I will keep it in mind if I ever become a dentist for sure

highscore

highscore

Reaction score
This is what I know so far, and Its too early for me to open a dental lab, so at the mean time being an employee is the only option for me. Thank you for the answer dear.

In Dubai we require license, without it you become an illegal dental technician, if they caught you then get ready for a 21000$ fine!

Why would you ever leave Dubai?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
And I hope you're able to achieve it, H.Ross :) With your talent, you'll go far.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
You should look for an in-house lab position. There was a Dr on here in the last year looking for a tech in Aspen, Co. I believe the person he found was someone from outside of the US. Be careful moving here to work for a lab, with or without certification. Good luck.

H.Ross

H.Ross

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice, but I am already working for a lab. what is wrong with that?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
You are working in a US lab? Or did I miss the question?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I would just hate to see you move here and get taken advantage of. It happens often.

H.Ross

H.Ross

Reaction score
I would just hate to see you move here and get taken advantage of. It happens often.

Yup, I know what you mean mate, and trust me I've received many silly offers. but, at the moment, I don't care about the numbers I am making, I would like to gain the experience of the country, I already have the profession experience.

I would rather take a job for a very low pay, where I interact with many departments, clients and suppliers, rather than getting high paid job and ending up behind a bench working just to live and go home.

about time I will run my own dental lab I hope

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
If you have some clinical experience, then I would say experiencing a well-running lab is a great place to start. Having the passion and desire you can do it. If you like skiing I will sell you my lab in a few years ;)

H.Ross

H.Ross

Reaction score
If you have some clinical experience, then I would say experiencing a well-running lab is a great place to start. Having the passion and desire you can do it. If you like skiing I will sell you my lab in a few years ;)

haha great idea, who knows what the future is hiding for us ;)

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Yeah the one downfall I think we have here in the States in no CTD requirements are needed to open your own dental lab. Germany has the best regulation IMO. Master CTD to open your own lab, a CDT to even work in a lab and must intern at a lab while going to school. Holly crap this way everybody is on the same page and when you bucal, labial incisal etc they know what your talking about. Don't get me wrong their are a lot of great Techs that are not CTD or RDT and do amazing work, but the title of CDT can help regulate the industry, maybe, possibly, who knows anymore.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Yeah the one downfall I think we have here in the States in no CTD requirements are needed to open your own dental lab. Germany has the best regulation IMO. Master CTD to open your own lab, a CDT to even work in a lab and must intern at a lab while going to school. Holly crap this way everybody is on the same page and when you bucal, labial incisal etc they know what your talking about. Don't get me wrong their are a lot of great Techs that are not CTD or RDT and do amazing work, but the title of CDT can help regulate the industry, maybe, possibly, who knows anymore.
I think Germany has similar regulations for every trade? Carpenter, mason, bookbinder, etc? I'm not sure anyone in the U.S. wants to go there.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I think Germany has similar regulations for every trade? Carpenter, mason, bookbinder, etc? I'm not sure anyone in the U.S. wants to go there.
Nope, we are lazy and as time changes standards change for the worse it is very sad. The percentage of people wanting to go the extra mile is getting smaller in the trade industry.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom