Will a CDT made out side of the US will be recognized as a CDT in the US?

M

MasterTiv

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am a dental technician from Israel and I am thinking of immigrating to the US.

I have a certificate dental technician and have worked as a dental technician for the past 10 years.
I would like to know where I can find information about CDT in the US.

Is my certificate enough to work and open a dental Lab?
Do I need to have an exam to have a new certificate in the US?

Is there any difference between states for having a CDT?

Thank you,
Dean T.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am a dental technician from Israel and I am thinking of immigrating to the US.

I have a certificate dental technician and have worked as a dental technician for the past 10 years.
I would like to know where I can find information about CDT in the US.

Is my certificate enough to work and open a dental Lab?
Do I need to have an exam to have a new certificate in the US?

Is there any difference between states for having a CDT?

Thank you,
Dean T.
Most states require nothing other than normal business stuff. Some require a cdt on staff, some require a yearly licensing fee. Each state will be different and you'll need to check with their board of dentistry on specifics.

CDT is not a school degree here, it is a recognition of knowledge and practial ability in the area(s) you test.

M

MasterTiv

Reaction score
Most states require nothing other than normal business stuff. Some require a cdt on staff, some require a yearly licensing fee. Each state will be different and you'll need to check with their board of dentistry on specifics.

CDT is not a school degree here, it is a recognition of knowledge and practial ability in the area(s) you test.
You were very very helpful!
Thank you very much.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score

nvm

P

Peterw

Reaction score
I’m an ortho tech in wa state. Self taught. Mostly lingual arches, hyraxes, band and loops and night guards with acrylic build up..those are like milk shakes…(best hand made). with acrylic buildup. Never required credentials, I love Israel and would stay there if I were you. :)

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I’m an ortho tech in wa state. Self taught. Mostly lingual arches, hyraxes, band and loops and night guards with acrylic build up..those are like milk shakes…(best hand made). with acrylic buildup. Never required credentials, I love Israel and would stay there if I were you. :)
Hey, Greetings @Peterw ! Welcome! I missed your entry post in the 3d printer plate thread.

M

MasterTiv

Reaction score
Israel is lovely.. when you are a tourist haha
Its very expansive everywhere here and taxes are very high.
Israeli people are aggressive.
For our proffesional, Doctors behave disrespectful to technicians( majority, not all) always want cheap and best quality and sell the technician for 5 usd.
I feel like trying somewhere new :)
Thanks for replying.

P

Peterw

Reaction score
Israel is lovely.. when you are a tourist haha
Its very expansive everywhere here and taxes are very high.
Israeli people are aggressive.
For our proffesional, Doctors behave disrespectful to technicians( majority, not all) always want cheap and best quality and sell the technician for 5 usd.
I feel like trying somewhere new :)
Thanks for replying.
Hi, in that case you could easily find employment in the pacific northwest where I’m from, Get your foot through the door and work yourself up, try a website called indeed.com. We hire through them, Free, plenty of positions and you can engage the employer remotely with questions Seattle Washington area, we have beautiful summers but in the winter not so much. Shalom

subrisi

subrisi

Reaction score
Hi, in that case you could easily find employment in the pacific northwest where I’m from, Get your foot through the door and work yourself up, try a website called indeed.com. We hire through them, Free, plenty of positions and you can engage the employer remotely with questions Seattle Washington area, we have beautiful summers but in the winter not so much. Shalom
Since a dental technician is not categorized a professional any longer ( we are just deemed as skilled laborers) you can't get into this country on a work visa. I had to go through hoops to get into this country. Considering we do medical devices, it is a shame that the government degraded us that bad.
As for recognizing a CDT degree from a foreign country, No, they don't . I am a CDT from Germany, one of my employees has a masters degree from Hungary, but we are still just skilled laborers. You can see I am very upset with this. Here in Washington state, we have new laws since last year. All labs have to be registered and every lab has to have at least one full time CDT on staff. Now just before my retirement and 41 years in the business, I have to go back hitting the books an study for the cdt test. Everyone is telling me that I will not have an issue to pass the test, but after reading some sample tests I disagree. I learned this profession in my native German language. I dealt with celsius, not fahrenheit. I dealt with grams, not pennyweight, Anatomy was in latin and German, here it is only english. The study material is so outdated, that even after being such a long time in this business, I saw techniques that even I did not have to study anymore. I believe that if they want us to become certified technicians and regain our professional standards, we need a complete overhaul in the education materials.
Sorry, I got completely off topic here
Angelika

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
but we are still just skilled laborers
Not even that. The profession was downgraded from skilled to non skilled a few years ago, as far as I remember. But in essence you are right and summed it up pretty well.

John in Canada

John in Canada

Reaction score
Usually the government can’t put you out of business. When we tried a couple decades ago to require all lab owners to be registered (Canada)(certified,USA) all current technicians lab owner or not got an RDT (registered dental technician) certification handed to them. Myself as a CDT, I was flabbergasted of course. But the reason was that you can’t take away someone’s livelihood. It happened with the painters and carpenters and plumbers here too. Good luck!