Divot on the EZMill

Adigitalsmile

Adigitalsmile

Reaction score
I am curious as to why my EZMill is creating a divot on the touch plate after only a short time of using the plate. Just replaced one a month ago and is already creating a divot again. What causes this does anyone know?

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
I am curious as to why my EZMill is creating a divot on the touch plate after only a short time of using the plate. Just replaced one a month ago and is already creating a divot again. What causes this does anyone know?

Clean your mill (make sure the burs and the point where the touch off is is dust free) and use the OEM burs and you won't have a problem.

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
As stated above, this is caused by the mill not measuring due to lack of electric conductivity. This mill has an electrical touch point for measuring, at least mine does. You will run into this problem if you try to use tools that are not conductive. There are updates that will help, if you take the touch off plate off and there is scuff marks underneath you have one of the problem mills. The holder on these mills are powder coated which reduces the electrical signal between the measuring point and the spindle holder and computer inside. There are updates that may be available from VHF, if you want to pm me I'd rather discuss over the phone as it's a long story.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
CLEAN YOUR MILL AFTER EVERY TIME YOU MILL. As mike stated clean the mill often. ZR power gets underneath the touch off plate, and causes interference with the contact signal. After replacing your plate did you re-calibrate? a broken tool will also cause a divet to occur as well. I have a few extra plates on hand just in case. Also the .6mm is the biggest cause of the divet. Since the purchase of our EZ Mill I have gone through 5 .6mm and I have had the mill for maybe 4 months. It is not like the Roland DWX-50 or the iMes machines where the .6mm will run for ever.

I would highly recommend you monitor and change out the .6mm more often After I cut any ZY I have a brush that I brush the top of the tool changer and the inside of the puck holder as well then I turn on the dust extraction and brush the inside of the milling chamber as well. This assure that mostly all of the ZR powder is out of the chamber and can not interfere with the touch off of the tool. Also clean the burs of any ZR powder cause ZR powder left on the tip of the tool can also act as a blocking of the signal.

This mill is the most picky and high maintenance mill that I have worked with. It can produce great results but is a B!TCH to make sure it runs properly.

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
Well to follow up there are things that will improve the fuction of the mill. It requires some updates. I have place star washers under a new touch plate that bite through the powder coat, also I have a grounding strap that is attached to the arm motor to maintain conductivity at all times. The problem stems from the electric touch off. PM me and we can discuss.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Pour design IMO on VHF's end. Ever try to resurface the touch off plate? It uses a 1mm ball end to mill a flat surface...............really? Why not provide a flat end mill to do the job right in one shot? This mill could of been improved drastically but they failed and still fail to listen to the end user.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Never heard about this problem from Mini mill users, was it designed with modifications compared to the EZ mill.
Other than tool life being short on the Mini, I've never heard anything negative about the Wieland Mini from many users.
Yes I know both mills can't use coated tools and with different Cams..

Last edited:
JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I have more than 2000 units through my Weiland mini now, same touch plate same original calibration. The thing just works perfect!

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I have more than 2000 units through my Weiland mini now, same touch plate same original calibration. The thing just works perfect!

I am up in the units milled on my EZ mill, over 1100 or so and now am on my 5th touch off plate calibrated the units 15-20 times and I don't know how many tools I have gone through. Maybe it is the basic CNC cam, I don't know but neither CB or VHF will help. Funny huh?

Maybe should of gotten the mini instead. Might get the mini select.

C

charles007

Reaction score
I am up in the units milled on my EZ mill, over 1100 or so and now am on my 5th touch off plate calibrated the units 15-20 times and I don't know how many tools I have gone through. Maybe it is the basic CNC cam, I don't know but neither CB or VHF will help. Funny huh?

Maybe should of gotten the mini instead. Might get the mini select.

Sevan, I think its worth a shot to get your hands on Wielands Advanced Cam and see if the problem is solved. Maybe worth every penny to change out Cams. Another suggestion is to get Dental Softworks Cam from Zubler to test and talk with Jason.
From your lack of support from Cadblu, I would suggest anyone looking to buy a vhf mill call Wieland and buy a trouble-free Mini mill from a company like Wieland that stands behind their equipment.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
How come nobody made a simple switch touch off mod for these mills yet ? It doesn't require rocket science IMO...:confused:

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
I had problems with the measuring keys having a divot after about 1 week worth of milling. 3 of the 4 Wieland mini's we have now have had amplifiers installed to correct this issue. Very simple install! They last about 1-3 months now without having to replace the measuring key and calibrate. The one I have that doesn't have an amplifier on it now, is starting to divot the key after about two weeks. I was told by Wieland that the life of the spindle can affect this too, on top of them saying we use our machines at a higher rate than the manufacturer tests. They test 60 units a day, we almost do double that on a normal day. I am most likely going to install an amplifier on it and solve the issue. I am about to test out some Talladium burs that I was told would conduct better than the previous tested burs. We will see!!!

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I have no idea why you guys have issues with your VHF mills. My wieland mini has never had the plate removed after nearly 3 years of continual use DAILY. It works just like day one. It has a minor divot in the plate now but its not effecting accuracy in any way. I do full arch cases and implant bridges with this machine and it just works spectacular.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I had problems with the measuring keys having a divot after about 1 week worth of milling. 3 of the 4 Wieland mini's we have now have had amplifiers installed to correct this issue. Very simple install! They last about 1-3 months now without having to replace the measuring key and calibrate. The one I have that doesn't have an amplifier on it now, is starting to divot the key after about two weeks. I was told by Wieland that the life of the spindle can affect this too, on top of them saying we use our machines at a higher rate than the manufacturer tests. They test 60 units a day, we almost do double that on a normal day. I am most likely going to install an amplifier on it and solve the issue. I am about to test out some Talladium burs that I was told would conduct better than the previous tested burs. We will see!!!

Unless you are running you mill 20 hours a day I find it hard to believe you are doing 120 units a day with your mill. I did a conservative estimate of a 100 FC units at 12 minutes which would 1200mins or 20 hours a day if your doing copings only maybe you could get close to those numbers who knows.

the math just didn't seem correct.

Anyhow I don't want to think my mill is that much better than others but it just seems very odd all the issues I here you and Seven have with tools/calibration

Again never calibrated my mill, never changed the plate in 3 years

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
We run from 6 am to right after midnight. I was exaggerating a bit but my point was that they don't test enough to get the results a lab will. I don't have problems with them now. The quality is very consistent. I LOVE the Zenocam nesting software. Once we solved the problem with the keys getting messed up, everything was great! Not hating on the VHF's at all!

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
The way we try to push production through the lab with as least amount of equipment as we do, we are bound to break something. Good thing customer service stays right on top of the issues!

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Unless you are running you mill 20 hours a day I find it hard to believe you are doing 120 units a day with your mill. I did a conservative estimate of a 100 FC units at 12 minutes which would 1200mins or 20 hours a day if your doing copings only maybe you could get close to those numbers who knows.

the math just didn't seem correct.

Anyhow I don't want to think my mill is that much better than others but it just seems very odd all the issues I here you and Seven have with tools/calibration

They're pretty close to it! They pump them out John! I say that because I've seen it with me own eyes!!

GoldRunner

GoldRunner

Reaction score

Our Mini has been fantastic also. I have been using the Sierra diamond coated burs with excellent results. The stock burs would only produce about 40-50 good units before chipping started. The diamond burs have cut over 750 units! Not sure when they will need to be replaced. Of course the touch off plate and mill must be kept scrupulously clean.

The scary thing is that our plate does have a divot in it produced by the original stock burs. Now I am worried about it crashing. I have been keeping a close watch on the plate and will replace it and recalibrate. The smaller diameter bur will theoretically go "into" the divot deeper, throwing off the calibration. We have noticed small vertical errors and copings that seem to be thinner than designed.

I just have the basic CAM which works great, but would be interested in the advanced CAM if it is worth it. The techs at Wieland support don't seem to think the CAM makes that big of a difference, especially if it costs another 3-4k. I would be interested in learning more about the amp. Thanks DLN for the great info!

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score

That's because your special John and your mill Mill must of been built on a Wednesday. LOL I was using the burs from Talladium now switched over to TD Dentals getting an average of 80-90 units on the 2 and around 100 on the 1mm. Maybe weiland figured out the cure to the touch of current level and got it fixed before selling the unit. But I do have to say since we got our second VHF from Talladium and separated ZR to one mill and wax to the other mill. I noticed the touch off plate divot issue has gone away. Now only occurs when the tool is worn our and looses its conductivity level causing the touch off to be stronger and cause the divot.

But it is odd the on my EZ mill Sierra tools fail, well only the 1mm really, the 2mm went over 250cuts as where the 1mm got 15 cuts on one then 6 on the other. But on my Master Mill from Talladium the Sierra 1mm went over 100 cuts no issue until the CAM thought it was a 2mm and tried to rough with it. LOL otherwise it would of kept cutting longer. I think that mill came with the signal booster installed on it.