Conductive plate on DWX-52D is touching the spindle

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
Howdy- I've replaced the spindles on a few of our Roland 52Ds so far, following the instructions to the letter. Including this bit:
cndplt.JPG
I've gone back behind the service panel to clean and regrease the linear ways, and I'm seeing that the conductive plates on one or two of the spindle units appear to have wandered, and are contacting the spindle, instead of floating close to but not contacting the spindle. One of them is actually bent back a bit, because the plate has been pushed down past just contacting the spindle body- it's springy steel so just springs back, but it's still pressed against the spindle fairly hard. The adjustment and set-screws seem tight, so I'm not really sure what's going on there. The spindle body can't move, given how it's mounted, so the contact plate assembly *must* be moving, I'm just not sure how.

More to the point, what is the contact plate for, anyhow? Is it a grounding/static dissipation/ionizing thing? What's the consequence of it touching the spindle improperly during operation?

G

gcsdent

Reaction score
I've just replaced the spindle in our 52DCi this morning (done this before) but I'm now facing the exact same issue. During the replacement I had it perfectly set up. Did you ever find a solution to this?
Thank you!

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
I've just replaced the spindle in our 52DCi this morning (done this before) but I'm now facing the exact same issue. During the replacement I had it perfectly set up. Did you ever find a solution to this?
Thank you!
Possibly! I asked a full-time Roland tech about this, and it's normal for it to move as part of its normal operation. the spindle moves to contact or not contact the conductive plate, I think the ATC motor moves it. It's supposed to be fully contacting the plate and bending it in one position, and should then clear the plate in the other. I think it's used to determine the state of the spindle.
If you go into Vpanel and initiate a spindle replacement under the Maintenance tab, it moves the spindle to the replacement position, and the ATC motor (I think) moves the spindle into its non-contacting position. If the plate is very close but not touching the spindle in this position, you should be fine.

Top Bottom