Disposing old equipment

D

David S. Weber

Reaction score
Hello, I was just wondering what people tend to do with their old equipment. Our lab has over 10 years old Zirkonzahn M5 milling machine that we no longer use as it was continuously having y-axis error. We ended up buying a new milling machine, but now this big machine is just taking up space in our lab for past year. What do you all do with big old equipment? Do you simply dump it in the dumpster? Or do you have to call waste management? Honestly, we thought we might be able to salvage some parts from it and use it somewhere, but I'm not sure we have ability to do so. Thank you in advance and sorry if I posted this in wrong forum. I'll remove it if so.
You can utilize ebay, or even Facebook Marketplace and boost your post for $5., and mark that shipping is an option. Another resource is
Atlas. They will post it on their website and take a commission when it sells. Whether I'm buying or selling, I look at 35 cents on the dollar as a good place to start and a fair value, although if you had trouble keeping it up and running, your buyer may as well.

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
Large or very scrappy smaller labs who use that same machine may be able to make good use of a dead or malfunctioning machine, either fixing it themselves or cannibalizing it for spare parts to keep their own machines running. There are also equipment techs who specialize in rebuilding/refurbishing mills to sell for cheap to dental labs outside of the metropole, and who may offer you a non-negligible price for a machine like yours, although I'm not aware of any specific guys who do that with zirkonzahn machines.