C-clamp adapters for the DWX-53?

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
Heya,
We recently added a dwx-53 to our milling lab, probably finishing set-up of it today. I was disappointed to see that the "open-edge" adapter isn't actually open on one side like the C-clamp is for the -52 series, the locking ring you torque down to clamp the puck passes over the 'C' of the holder body. I guess it's open on one edge of that side, but it seems like it'll still get in the way of 90-degree milling operations.
Does it actually give enough clearance for you to use 90-degree milling operations like you do with the C-clamp? Or is it a more limited form of 90-degree milling, where you will never be able to mill away the entire side of a blank?

greeny

greeny

Sponsors
Reaction score
Hey Tuyere, we think the open-edged holder is perfectly suited for the kinematics of the DWX-53DC. The B-axis is +/- 35 degrees, which is similar to the angle of the fixture's inside edge. The "bump out" adds enough buffer for any potential tool shank collisions.

Here's a good visualization of the clearances with the tool at close to full depth on the part (with plenty of angulation to spare):

dwx-53dc.jpg

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
Neat, that does make sense. It's functionally 'open' as far as the tool is concerned, but the locking ring can still encircle the whole blank holder for rigidity. It's a lot more lightly-built than the 52-series C-clamp, which I was concerned about, but I guess you can get away with that with a full locking ring.

Top Bottom