Disposing old equipment

N

NDA

Reaction score
Hello, I was just wondering what people tend to do with their old equipment. Our lab has over 10 years old Zirkonzahn M5 milling machine that we no longer use as it was continuously having y-axis error. We ended up buying a new milling machine, but now this big machine is just taking up space in our lab for past year. What do you all do with big old equipment? Do you simply dump it in the dumpster? Or do you have to call waste management? Honestly, we thought we might be able to salvage some parts from it and use it somewhere, but I'm not sure we have ability to do so. Thank you in advance and sorry if I posted this in wrong forum. I'll remove it if so.

DigiSculpt Design Center

DigiSculpt Design Center

Reaction score
Where are you located?

doug

doug

Reaction score
Can you use it as a trade-in for a future mill purchase?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
im sure if you post it somewhere someone will take it and refurbish it

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Turn it into a cool fridge. Open the door, grab a drink.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I'd part it out on ebay, it is built with quality stuff which could fetch you some $

W

WillBe

Reaction score
I can come pick it up. Is there still a need for this?

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Hello, I was just wondering what people tend to do with their old equipment. Our lab has over 10 years old Zirkonzahn M5 milling machine that we no longer use as it was continuously having y-axis error. We ended up buying a new milling machine, but now this big machine is just taking up space in our lab for past year. What do you all do with big old equipment? Do you simply dump it in the dumpster? Or do you have to call waste management? Honestly, we thought we might be able to salvage some parts from it and use it somewhere, but I'm not sure we have ability to do so. Thank you in advance and sorry if I posted this in wrong forum. I'll remove it if so.
Chat gpt Ai answer not mine :):

Hello!
When it comes to disposing of old equipment, there are several options you can consider rather than simply dumping it in a dumpster. Here are a few suggestions:
  1. Sell or donate: If the Zirkonzahn M5 milling machine is still in reasonably good condition and can be repaired or refurbished, you might consider selling it or donating it to someone who could make use of it. There are online platforms, forums, or dental equipment resellers where you can list the equipment for sale. Additionally, dental schools, training programs, or smaller labs might be interested in acquiring it at a reduced cost or as a donation.
  2. Equipment trade-in: Some dental equipment suppliers or manufacturers offer trade-in programs where you can exchange your old equipment for credit towards the purchase of new equipment. This could be an option worth exploring, especially if you have already purchased a new milling machine from a specific supplier.
  3. Recycling and disposal: If the equipment is beyond repair or has no resale value, it's important to dispose of it responsibly. Many regions have regulations governing the disposal of electronic waste (e-waste) to minimize environmental impact. Check with your local waste management authority or recycling centers to inquire about e-waste disposal options in your area. They can provide guidance on proper recycling and disposal methods.
  4. Salvage parts: As you mentioned, salvaging usable parts from the old milling machine is another possibility. However, it does require technical knowledge and expertise to dismantle and repurpose the parts effectively. If your lab doesn't have the capability or resources to salvage parts, you might consider contacting specialized equipment salvage companies or repair technicians who can assist you with this process.
Before taking any steps, it's a good idea to check if the equipment has any warranties or service agreements that might affect your options. Additionally, documenting the condition of the equipment and any attempts made to repair it can be helpful for potential buyers or organizations that might be interested in acquiring it.
Remember, it's important to consider the environmental impact and legal requirements when disposing of old equipment. Consulting with waste management professionals or experts in equipment recycling can provide you with more specific guidance based on your location.
I hope these suggestions help you find the best course of action for your old milling machine, and I wish you success in freeing up space in your dental lab!

N

NDA

Reaction score
Can you use it as a trade-in for a future mill purchase?
It's been only a year since we bought a new milling machine from a different company. We are a very small lab, so we don't have any planning to buy a new milling machine anytime soon.

N

NDA

Reaction score
I'd part it out on ebay, it is built with quality stuff which could fetch you some $
That's what I thought. It even had fairly new parts since we were trying to fix the issue when we were using it. I'm just not sure if I have the expertise to dismantle that thing and know which parts I could salvage to sell. Do you know where I can find a video or guide on how I can learn how to salvage this kind of machine?

Last edited:
N

NDA

Reaction score
Chat gpt Ai answer not mine :):

Hello!
When it comes to disposing of old equipment, there are several options you can consider rather than simply dumping it in a dumpster. Here are a few suggestions:
  1. Sell or donate: If the Zirkonzahn M5 milling machine is still in reasonably good condition and can be repaired or refurbished, you might consider selling it or donating it to someone who could make use of it. There are online platforms, forums, or dental equipment resellers where you can list the equipment for sale. Additionally, dental schools, training programs, or smaller labs might be interested in acquiring it at a reduced cost or as a donation.
  2. Equipment trade-in: Some dental equipment suppliers or manufacturers offer trade-in programs where you can exchange your old equipment for credit towards the purchase of new equipment. This could be an option worth exploring, especially if you have already purchased a new milling machine from a specific supplier.
  3. Recycling and disposal: If the equipment is beyond repair or has no resale value, it's important to dispose of it responsibly. Many regions have regulations governing the disposal of electronic waste (e-waste) to minimize environmental impact. Check with your local waste management authority or recycling centers to inquire about e-waste disposal options in your area. They can provide guidance on proper recycling and disposal methods.
  4. Salvage parts: As you mentioned, salvaging usable parts from the old milling machine is another possibility. However, it does require technical knowledge and expertise to dismantle and repurpose the parts effectively. If your lab doesn't have the capability or resources to salvage parts, you might consider contacting specialized equipment salvage companies or repair technicians who can assist you with this process.
Before taking any steps, it's a good idea to check if the equipment has any warranties or service agreements that might affect your options. Additionally, documenting the condition of the equipment and any attempts made to repair it can be helpful for potential buyers or organizations that might be interested in acquiring it.
Remember, it's important to consider the environmental impact and legal requirements when disposing of old equipment. Consulting with waste management professionals or experts in equipment recycling can provide you with more specific guidance based on your location.
I hope these suggestions help you find the best course of action for your old milling machine, and I wish you success in freeing up space in your dental lab!
Haha thanks. I forgot chat gpt can be helpful like this. I'll go through this options and see if I can find what may be the best to do.