Disinfecting

BDDS

BDDS

Reaction score
Cavicide Info

I used Dispatch too while in the service, great stuff but harsh ... I've liked the results of CaviCide ... heres some info.

Disinfectant - CaviCide

CaviCide is Effective Against: Kill Time
• Mycobacterium tuberculosis var: bovis (BCG) 5 minutes
• Staphylococcus aureus 3 minutes
• Pseudomonas aeruginosa 3 minutes
• Salmonella choleraesuis 3 minutes
• Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) 3 minutes
• Vanocomycin Resistant Enterococcus faecalis (VRE) 3 minutes
• Hepatitis B Virus (HBV) 3 minutes
• Hepatitus C Virus (HCV) 3 minutes
• Herpes simplex virus types 1 and 2 3 minutes
• Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV-1) 3 minutes

Smilewire

Smilewire

Reaction score
Not even close.

I remember some guy in school putting his hand in plaster to get an impression and when it started setting up he couldnt get it off and its started to burn him he had to crack it off and his hand had got burned

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
I used Dispatch too while in the service, great stuff but harsh ... I've liked the results of CaviCide ... heres some info.

Disinfectant - CaviCide

CaviCide is Effective Against: Kill Time
• Mycobacterium tuberculosis var: bovis (BCG) 5 minutes
• Staphylococcus aureus 3 minutes
• Pseudomonas aeruginosa 3 minutes
• Salmonella choleraesuis 3 minutes
• Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) 3 minutes
• Vanocomycin Resistant Enterococcus faecalis (VRE) 3 minutes
• Hepatitis B Virus (HBV) 3 minutes
• Hepatitus C Virus (HCV) 3 minutes
• Herpes simplex virus types 1 and 2 3 minutes
• Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV-1) 3 minutes
Not saying your wrong but I took an osha class that said otherwise to cavicide killing hepatitus, actually I hope your right.

Last edited:
hydent

hydent

Reaction score
I just looked it up, thanks for correcting me BDDS! I wonder why they discouraged cavicide so much for being useful against hepatitis. I'll see if I can find the papers I received. It's been about 7 years since I took the osha class that told me this obviously false info.

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I remember some guy in school putting his hand in plaster to get an impression and when it started setting up he couldnt get it off and its started to burn him he had to crack it off and his hand had got burned

It was thicker than what we deal with I'd guess.

The larger the mass, the more the heat. Little C&B impression pours are not going to make much heat at all. Take the same mix (multiply volume by 10x)
and dump into a bucket 6" thick, and you will feel the heat. Go too thick and the heat will crack the stone.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Alright guys. In a plaster cast exothermia greater than 49˚c will cause skin damage. Food surfaces sanitized by heat require at least 74˚c. Sterilzation requires 120˚c for 30 min- 1 hour. Your model is not going to get hot enough.

Smilewire

Smilewire

Reaction score
Alright guys. In a plaster cast exothermia greater than 49˚c will cause skin damage. Food surfaces sanitized by heat require at least 74˚c. Sterilzation requires 120˚c for 30 min- 1 hour. Your model is not going to get hot enough.

Whats up with the cenograde kcdt? I'm confused:confused:, doesnt take much:p
:rolleyes::D:D

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Sorry, but the info online is in centigrade, and I was too lazy to convert. 49˚c is 120˚f (scalding temp for skin),120˚ is 248˚f (sterile),74˚ is 165˚f (food safety).
As a rule of thumb all you have to remember is that 0˚c is 32˚f (freezing water).
100˚ c is 212˚f or water boil. From about 50˚c on fahrenheit will be a number just over 2x the centigrade. Simple.

The highest exothermic temp for plaster I could find was 49˚c. Keep in mind that plaster will not set in boiling water, so it physically impossible for it to give off that much heat at set. Since temperature of exothermia is related to how thick the plaster is, it isn't viable to expect temperatures to reach levels needed to disinfect.

Last edited:
T

toof makr

NOVICE
Reaction score
i was going to ask..."do any of you have to take an ICP class for CE"...??? but then...not everyone is a CDT...!!!

sorry...

yes...there is a whole systematic way it is supposed to be handled...you can go online to NADL.org..and go to ICP...might be in the certification bit...think it's an OSHA requirement as well...???

the lab lady

the lab lady

Reaction score
most offices will have already disinfected the impression prior to sending it out to you...i would check with the offices before going to the extra trouble.
:)

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Universal precautions is the only way to go. Even if you offices disinfect, it is not wise to rely on that to have happened flawlessly every time.
If you have employees, its not legal to just take the offices word for it, you must disinfect.
Also any office that disinfects properly should have also packaged it to inform you.

T

toof makr

NOVICE
Reaction score
not only that...LOTS of offices just spray it w/ lysol...that doesn't cut it...as well as the reaction that may occur w/ the stone...when pouring it up...so...i'm thinkin'...however you get it...it still needs to be done by your office..w/ YOUR gear...!!!
(not all stones like all disinfectants)

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Even digital impressions can be sent with a virus.

How much Chlorox (ratio) are you guys using to disinfect your harddrive?:confused:

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Even digital impressions can be sent with a virus.

How much Chlorox (ratio) are you guys using to disinfect your harddrive?:confused:

Ok that was funny!

T

toof makr

NOVICE
Reaction score
what....now i have to disinfect my hard-drive...too....DAMN...!!

RetainerDesigner

RetainerDesigner

Reaction score
Every model that comes in our lab get soaked in a 1:3 ratio of bleach:water for 10 minutes. Rinsed and air dried on a towel (Use a white towel :) ). I even throw denture repairs and broken retainers in the mix too. Relines that I have to pour up gets immersed in Sporociden.
I spray the alginate impression with Sporociden for and wait 3-4 min before rinsing them. I believe you get most of your infection control from rinsing under running water thoroughly.
I also heat seal my retainers in a baggie with mouthwash in it. New acrylic taste bad! and I figure its an added bonus to IC

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I also heat seal my retainers in a baggie with mouthwash in it. New acrylic taste bad! and I figure its an added bonus to IC
The mouthwash isn't such a great idea. Its useless unless it contains alcohol, and alcohol is a solvent that degrades acrylic resins... just stick with distilled water.

Smilewire

Smilewire

Reaction score
2nd on the mouthwash it creates little cracklies Im sure you've seen them on repairs almost like shattered glass..there from patients that soak the retainers in mouthwash over night. You CAN get alcohol free mouthwash I like to use the this minty spray

T

tiredtechs4

Reaction score
Does anyone lightly spray finished pf crowns with mouthwash before sending the case out?

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
Anyone have a simple and effective procedure/protocol for preparing work for despatch ? Thinking specifically about Prosthetic work that will be going forward and back from surgery and lab, and advice that can be passed on to the clinical staff to ensure consistency with the returns; looking for ways to re-write manuals for handling instructions, and for tuition/instruction. Thanks.
popcorn