Discolored Zirconia after glazing

D

drforbesdmd

Reaction score
Has anyone who uses emax glaze paste and or spray experienced your zirconia crowns turning black after glazing? I ran a cycle and they came out black. Any idea why this happened? If I try to correct will it work or should I just mill again?

Attachments

• IMG-4823.jpg
    IMG-4823.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG-4822.jpg
    IMG-4822.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 113
JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
First thought is when was your furnace last callibrated.

2nd is whether you used the material before.

3rd is if you have used it before, is that a new can/set/lot number.
if it's the same as you used before, is it in date.

I'm sure someone knows more than I do (everyone does) but that will get a start on possiblities.

D

drforbesdmd

Reaction score
First thought is when was your furnace last callibrated.

2nd is whether you used the material before.

3rd is if you have used it before, is that a new can/set/lot number.
if it's the same as you used before, is it in date.

I'm sure someone knows more than I do (everyone does) but that will get a start on possiblities.

Brand new Mihm HTS-2 sintering but the programat CS I used for glazing is when the color changed. The looked fine coming out of the Mihm-vogt

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
looks like you had some crap on your brush.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Try prolonging the dry time, before the oven closes. Dont apply too much glaze, either. Also, don't put the restorations directly on the tray. These trays are heatsinks! From what I know, these trays also suck up all the contaminants and may pass em along, onto your restorations. I use honeycomb trays. And to keep them clean, I put them in the oven, when I run the cleaning cycle on the Programat. You will find that under the Maintenance tab.

D

drforbesdmd

Reaction score
Try prolonging the dry time, before the oven closes. Dont apply too much glaze, either. Also, don't put the restorations directly on the tray. These trays are heatsinks! From what I know, these trays also suck up all the contaminants and may pass em along, onto your restorations. I use honeycomb trays. And to keep them clean, I put them in the oven, when I run the cleaning cycle on the Programat. You will find that under the Maintenance tab.

thanks have you ever tried a different glaze? Was thinking about the insync

D

drforbesdmd

Reaction score
Insync is a wonderful glaze, you can't go wrong in giving that a shot.
ok i just pulled the trigger on the insync any idea of the glazing set up for the programat cs?

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
thanks have you ever tried a different glaze? Was thinking about the insync
I actually use Ivocolor Fluo Glaze Powder (not paste!),which has worked great. Regardless what you use, make sure your glaze is fluorescent, since the zirconia crowns are not!!! That is also why you always have to put glaze on a Zr restoration, if you don't want your Pts to stick out in any black light environment...

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
ok i just pulled the trigger on the insync any idea of the glazing set up for the programat cs?

Step by step programming help, I'm not sure, but maybe something in here will be helpful?

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Metal or cement will leave a black residue.
What does it look like under your 10x microscope.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Has anyone who uses emax glaze paste and or spray experienced your zirconia crowns turning black after glazing? I ran a cycle and they came out black. Any idea why this happened? If I try to correct will it work or should I just mill again?
Quite fugly looking crowns you got there doc...lol...even the zr looks like the opaceous cr@p we had like 15 years ago...

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Quite fugly looking crowns you got there doc...lol...even the zr looks like the opaceous cr@p we had like 15 years ago...
Survey Patrick may have something to add here 🙂

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score

Agree, that was my thought too, to send it to a lab to see and get a better result. It could be the opaque, chair side same day stuff? I'm not sure, as I don't keep track of posts and threads very well...