Denture advice?

model guy

model guy

Donator
Reaction score
Id like to get some opinions regarding a denture we recently processed. The case began as they typically do :custom tray, bite rims, set-up try in, and process and finish. Id like to preface this by saying that this doctor generally takes very good imresions and we have never had trouble with impressions. The doctor calls after insertion saying that there was a good deal of space between the palate and the basal surface of the denture. He took a reline impression inside and sent it back to us. We relined it as normal and sent it back. He calle da few days later saying that the same thing happend. He once again tookm a reline impression and sent it back to us to reprocess. The patient is not on any medication that might affect the oral cavity.

Does anyone have any idea as to why this is happening? I have never seen anything like it before? Bizarre.

Last edited:
droberts

droberts

Reaction score
Borders over extended? Have the doctor take a reline imp. and let the patient wear it for a couple of days.

model guy

model guy

Donator
Reaction score
I think that the borders look right. I am inclined to think that it is a physiological problem within the mouth.I repoured original master model and compared it with the reline impression that we recieved today and they look almost identical.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I think that the borders look right. I am inclined to think that it is a physiological problem within the mouth.I repoured original master model and compared it with the reline impression that we recieved today and they look almost identical.

Either his impression material/ and or letting it set too long before pouring, could be labstone gone bad, or your acrylic/processing technique......ie boiling too long or using self cure..

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
clinical
What type of impression material is he using? Many times inadequate application of adhesive prior to applying impression material may cause a slight pull away from tray or denture intaglio.
laboratory
What processing technique do you use?

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
Flabby tissue, and non-passive impression technique (pressing too hard or allowing the patient to clench during impression taking) and subsequent rebound?

D

Denturetech

Reaction score
Im leaning toward water being to hot and using pour acrlyic

thetoothfarie

thetoothfarie

Reaction score
Did the Dr. use regular impression material or did he do a proper reline impression using a tissue conditioner like Sof-tone and have the patient wear it for 3 days before relining?

stevo

stevo

Reaction score
fluid retention

It could be fluid retention in the tissues, this can happen in the elderly patient the tissues can swell with a build up of fluid, eg like a finger retaining fluid and the ring become tight on the finger. Peoples ankles are a could place to cheek if there is a fluid retention problem. with the elderly it is best to take impression first thing in the morning.

K

Kris S.

Reaction score
Patients can retain water for many reasons (alcohal, salty food, that time of the month.) Having the patient rinse there mouth out with ice cold water will help most times and using a medium body impression materail as to not displace tissue. We have all our dr's do these things and we have no problems.

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there.

My sister recently did a case over and over again with it not fitting each time. She noticed a section of the model seemed bigger each time. Turned out it to be a tumor.

What concerns me about the model guy's case, as stated, is that it happens after a few days. So, did you mean a few days after seating or it was seated a few days later. I don't know the timeline of my sister's case either, which is why I'm just throwing this out there.

T

technician_dental

Reaction score
Denture Advice

Check the post dam.Maybe too prominent.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
My guess would be the acrylic is being allowed to dry out...Perhaps it is not being kept in a waterbath. Something simple like that.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
I had a case in school where I lost all centric contacts because I let it dry out over the weekend....We all learn hey? I can well imagine that if allowed to shrink a bit, it may appear that it is short in the palate....Look at the buccal flanges of the retake impressions and see if they are thinner than the palate.....That would indicate shrinkage.......Cure? put it in water a few days....should come back..they can ll it synerisys and imbition.....Take care....DS