Dental stone specifically for manufacture of acrylic retainers??

O

orthoace

Reaction score
Hi

I use 50:50 dental stone to dental plaster to pour my work models to process my acrylic retainers and essix retainers.

A Orthodontist of mine tells me that some of my essix retainers fits perfectly on the model but not in the mouth. I know that it could be his impression distortion but I wonder is there a dental stone that I can use specifically produced for accuracy in manufacturing acrylic appliances?

Thanks,
Orthoace

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
I always have a patient waiting for thier essix. So I use snap stone. And theres no time for a proper mix. Just add water to a slurry and pour quickly as it sets so darn fast. Never had a problem.

chief26

chief26

Reaction score
Why Are You Mixing Stone And Plaster???? Plaster Should Be For The Study Models. Stone Should Be Used For Your Working Models. They Have Different Expantion.Ratios.

Betalab

Betalab

Reaction score
In the scheme of things any expansion rates in a model made for an Essex are neglible. By the time the client has wrapped the alginate to tightly and left it squashed in a box ready for pick up near the freezer part of the fridge and then the courier picks it up on the Monday when the impressions were taken on Friday on a day that's 40 degrees Celsius with alginate that is cheap and nasty because the client got a cheap deal with it and taken in a stock tray using no adhesive and a patient that pulled in a gag reflex and obvious pull of alginate from the tray that you try to reseat with superglue then I think the plaster or stone is a small consideration. We use whip mix ortho stone because its strong and doesn't stain the alginate yellow or whatever colour as our clients like us to make study models from the same impression and it keeps everything Snow White .
You will just know which ones will be the remakes. Invoice it with a polite note that you think the impression was not so good and wait for the remake
Your clients will very soon appreciate you know what you are doing and with. Feed back like this they will take the extra care and your success rate will get higher
As a side note we make our study models in ortho stone because they will be handled by many people and will be a record for legal reason for many years to come so they do need to be strong and a good stone will give a nice finish and look professional.

-Patrick

Last edited:
M

MasterCeramist

Reaction score
Odds are it is an impression issue/distortion rather than a Problem with stone or plaster. All we can do is make it fit to a model poured from their impression.

chief26

chief26

Reaction score
I Agree..Make Sure There Are No Visable Distortions In The Impression. Also Some Possiblitys...If The Essix Rocks N The Pts Mouth..Its The Way They Pull The Impression Out Of The Mouth. If Its Too Loose..It Could Be They R LettingThe Impression Sit In To Much Liquid Between Taking It And You Recieving It. The Essix Wont Go In..The Alginate Shrunk For Some Reason Before U Recieved It. If The Alginate Pulls Away From The Tray...I Wont Even Pour It. It Almost Always Wont Fit. Makes The Teeth To Thin...Hope That Helps.I Can Give U Some Advice On How The Office Should Pack Them If U Need it

S

sampson

Reaction score
all good points raised- however -try telling them its something they did at the clinic.-HA

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Lots of good suggestions here but lets be realistic. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to cut your stone with plaster.

Use a proper Type 3 stone, measure out the liquid, and you will remove one variable from the puzzle.

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
Amen... Have your stone pre-weighed and ready to go. Quick, effective, amd like John said, you get rid of one variable.

Betalab

Betalab

Reaction score
"As a side note we make our study models in ortho stone because they will be handled by many people and will be a record for legal reason for many years to come so they do need to be strong and a good stone will give a nice finish and look professional."
Ditto as before
-Patrick