Degassing Refractory

• Thread starter Marcusthegladiator CDT
  • Start date
Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
So the model person built this refractory case by pouring the whole arch in OrbitVest. Pinning it without gluing the dowels, and basing it.
It came out nice, and saved a lot of time.
I got it degassed and even ran the program long since these were a bit larger masses than usual.
Then someone layered the dies with porcelain and fired them with the dowel pins still inside.
The dowel pins melted all over the dies.

Then toward the end of the day they were having some issues with firing and color, and they had the nerve to say, "Marc, maybe you didn't degas them correctly."

Some people really drive me crazy.

Would you just continue layering porcelain on these dies?

-Marc

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Heck NO!,,,just start over.

A

adl

Reaction score
So the model person built this refractory case by pouring the whole arch in OrbitVest. Pinning it without gluing the dowels, and basing it.
I got it degassed and even ran the program long since these were a bit larger masses than usual.
Then someone layered the dies with porcelain and fired them with the dowel pins still inside.

Then toward the end of the day they were having some issues with firing and color, and they had the nerve to say, "Marc, maybe you didn't degas them correctly."

-Marc
No,you are done ! Start over

doug

doug

Reaction score
That's the best thing to do. Better now than when you are farther along and another problem arises. I would suggest that out of curiosity you might want to go forward with this just to see what happens, but get a new set of dies first.

kimba

kimba

Reaction score
would only keep going if I wanted practice building onto a refractory die

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score

-Marc
Only if you want to hear it sing

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
What happen Marcus the gladiator?, they used brass pins!.Hmmmm2

Last edited:
Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
What happen Marcus the gladiator?, they used brass pins!.Hmmmm2
It was a new model person that used a different technique. It wasn't bad. Just imagine not gluing your pins in. You can remove them from the die.
I'm tired of carroting, and duping dies. This wasn't a bad alternative. Except the part where a 30 year tech fired pins. FML