De-stressing

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
Not material science, but human being science.
Ever get a moment (i know we all do) when the mercury rises and you feel like an explosion is imminent - maybe it's called a "Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" moment.
Trivial things can set off a chain reaction in the body and soul and lead to a period of abnormality, confusion and anger.
The trickle effect of little things leads to a point where we know we need to de-stress.
What things do you do to help with the de-stressing that's needed to calmly continue in the face of adversity ?
popcorn

C

charles007

Reaction score
I click on DLN or go to DentalTown.......... its in my blood.......

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
I totally get that way sometimes when I'm balls to the wall and then the phone doesn't quit ringing with people wanting favors or asking for cases I delivered two days earlier or the same office calling to say they have a pick up four times in a row by four different assistants and office staff.

what do I do to deal with it? well, I tried beer that didn't work,I tried just about everything, the best thing I do is get out of the lab... go get a cold soda pop and go for a drive or anything that is away from the lab for a few minutes. Unfortunately it ends up putting you behind even more if you were busy. I also will go sit in my break room with the light off with no music or anything and sit in a comfy chair and take a 20 minute cat nap that sometimes helps.

Last edited:
amadent

amadent

http://amadent.net/Home.p
Reaction score
I quietly get up from my bench, go out the back door of the lab and talk a slow walk around the block. it is about a 10 minute walk

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
I like a stroll too, if I still had a motorbike I'd go for a run but the roads are too choked up to benefit - I'd get back more rattled.
Hot drink and some light reading about something trivial will help.
soduko, or other puzzle will soon make work seem easier.

doug

doug

Reaction score
If it gets rough during the day I take a short break and play Spider Solitaire on the computer. Seems to use the other side of my brain and lets me calm myself. If that doesn't work I bitch, just to verbalize my frustration. I encourage it.

CloudPeakDL

CloudPeakDL

Reaction score
Deep breathing, maybe take a few minutes and throw the ball for the dog. If I'm not rushed I like to play a computer game also - Bejewed -

R

rebeccaterp

Reaction score
My husband, after punching a hole in the drywall (many which have been repaired with lab plaster),usually sits outside and takes a few puffs on a cigar.

I'll admit, it was nice to know that it isn't just him that gets that overwhelming sensation that the work is always piled up, no matter how caught up you think you are.

On the bright side, if you're so busy, you're obviously doing something right!

Oh yeah, and an anti-anxiety medication can sure take the edge off.

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
My husband, after punching a hole in the drywall (many which have been repaired with lab plaster),usually sits outside and takes a few puffs on a cigar.

I'll admit, it was nice to know that it isn't just him that gets that overwhelming sensation that the work is always piled up, no matter how caught up you think you are.

On the bright side, if you're so busy, you're obviously doing something right!

Oh yeah, and an anti-anxiety medication can sure take the edge off.

ha ha one time I threw an articulator through the door. I wish I would have taken a picture it was awesome, the hole is still there minus the articulator sticking through it. Some days the old saying applies "when it rains it pours" on those days there is a possibility an articulator might make its way across the room and into a door.

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
Gee, I always felt like lab work itself was therapeutic. I'm in the middle of a writing a screenplay...actually I've finished the first draft now it's re-write time...and that is way more stressful. Lately I've made the mistake of doing most of my writing at home in the kitchen...I gained 15 pounds in two weeks. I works so much better for me to do it at the lab and when I get stuck I go out into the lab and work with my hands and let my mind work through all the writing problems as I work. Of course the mental multi-tasking (script vs set up) makes me a bit slow at the bench but it's after hours so it's bonus production and therapeutic at the same time.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Kneading bread dough (lots of punching involved!) and hammering nails. . Pirate Poppers video game is good too along with crocheting, jigsaw puzzles
and a big bag of chocolate chips.

Michelle

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
Gee, I always felt like lab work itself was therapeutic. I'm in the middle of a writing a screenplay...actually I've finished the first draft now it's re-write time...and that is way more stressful. Lately I've made the mistake of doing most of my writing at home in the kitchen...I gained 15 pounds in two weeks. I works so much better for me to do it at the lab and when I get stuck I go out into the lab and work with my hands and let my mind work through all the writing problems as I work. Of course the mental multi-tasking (script vs set up) makes me a bit slow at the bench but it's after hours so it's bonus production and therapeutic at the same time.

It's not so much the lab work it's the incompetence from others that add up to frustration.

J

Jerr57

Reaction score
It's not so much the lab work it's the incompetence from others that add up to frustration.

That used to get to me also, but now I tell myself "they know not what they do" and then I focus on solving the problem:cool:

Also, I continually remind myself that the cases are not a matter of life or death. Then breathe...............popcorn

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
That used to get to me also, but now I tell myself "they know not what they do" and then I focus on solving the problem:cool:

Also, I continually remind myself that the cases are not a matter of life or death. Then breathe...............popcorn

you are right I'm still growing up and as for the problem solving well...you are right about that too.:D

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
Then you will do well to adopt our lab motto:

It's not going in my mouth.

jimi

jimi

Reaction score
stressed? try annealing with hot sugary bevarage.

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
Then you will do well to adopt our lab motto:

It's not going in my mouth.

That's akin to our motto; "...Looks good from my house."

Tim, are you going to get David Blaine to star in your screenplay?:D I know of a musician named Chris who could help you write the soundtrack (I hear he's good;) ) .

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
hop on the Quad, take a long cruise in the woods....maybe get muddy.
or go fishing with some cool beerverages :D