Custom articulators

D

DentalGoofBall

Reaction score
What software do people use to create custom Articulators for 3shape and exocad ?

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
Any mechanical CAD program, pretty much- where modelling is mathematically and geometrically-defined, as opposed to mesh modelling where you're creating shapes with many arbitrary points within the 3D plane. Fusion360 is probably the most accessible comprehensive option, but you are very limited in what you can do without a paid subscription. Solidworks is king, if you're lucky enough to have access. I've used Alibre for our in-house stuff, it's pretty basic but it's reasonably good at fundamental prisms 'n NURBS modelling and simple assemblies, and you get a lifetime license for like $600.

D

DentalGoofBall

Reaction score
Any mechanical CAD program, pretty much- where modelling is mathematically and geometrically-defined, as opposed to mesh modelling where you're creating shapes with many arbitrary points within the 3D plane. Fusion360 is probably the most accessible comprehensive option, but you are very limited in what you can do without a paid subscription. Solidworks is king, if you're lucky enough to have access. I've used Alibre for our in-house stuff, it's pretty basic but it's reasonably good at fundamental prisms 'n NURBS modelling and simple assemblies, and you get a lifetime license for like $600.
Hmm I’ll have to do some research on these because none of the Articulator I found are liked by my boss lol so I have no choice but learn how to create my own that will fill his wants

D

DentalGoofBall

Reaction score
Do you happen to have any guides or tutorials that would help with strictly 3shape custom Articulator ?

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
Hmm I’ll have to do some research on these because none of the Articulator I found are liked by my boss lol so I have no choice but learn how to create my own that will fill his wants
I would say that this is a job to farm out to a CAD designer, unless you want to be working on this articulator for months. It's not really reasonable to ask of someone who can't already do it with their existing skillset. Mechanical CAD isn't simple to just jump into and get good results, especially if the dimensions are important like they are here. Alignment pins aren't just cylinders, they have a particular taper that lets them insert without binding, there are specific clearances you need to use depending on the fitment you want, that kind of thing.
Grab Fusion 360 if you're serious about this, it's free to just tool around in, and there are a lot of tutorials built into it.

Do you happen to have any guides or tutorials that would help with strictly 3shape custom Articulator ?
I know you can configure your own articulators on the settings end of things using different building-block .stls, but I can't really help, I don't touch dental design stuff as a rule. Mess around in the articulator configs and see what you can do (just back up your existing designs first!)

D

DentalGoofBall

Reaction score
I would say that this is a job to farm out to a CAD designer, unless you want to be working on this articulator for months. It's not really reasonable to ask of someone who can't already do it with their existing skillset. Mechanical CAD isn't simple to just jump into and get good results, especially if the dimensions are important like they are here. Alignment pins aren't just cylinders, they have a particular taper that lets them insert without binding, there are specific clearances you need to use depending on the fitment you want, that kind of thing.
Grab Fusion 360 if you're serious about this, it's free to just tool around in, and there are a lot of tutorials built into it.

I know you can configure your own articulators on the settings end of things using different building-block .stls, but I can't really help, I don't touch dental design stuff as a rule. Mess around in the articulator configs and see what you can do (just back up your existing designs first!)
Yeah I work in two departments within my lab and learning exo 3shape printing and more while I work