Crucibles for NP

Principefly

Principefly

Reaction score
To preserve the crucible (for casting NP with torch) use you any particular substance?
Do you clean by sandblasting or use them a few times and then throw them away?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Rub White Flouride Flux on the surface, then into oven, then pull out and flame with torch,.

repeat untill nice glaze forms.

This is what I do to all crucibles before use.

corona

corona

Reaction score
Rub White Flouride Flux on the surface, then into oven, then pull out and flame with torch,.

repeat untill nice glaze forms.

This is what I do to all crucibles before use.
you are a plethora of knowledge *** . good tip

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Watch out!

Some of my info is pure bologna! LOL

C

charles007

Reaction score
To preserve the crucible (for casting NP with torch) use you any particular substance?
Do you clean by sandblasting or use them a few times and then throw them away?

The best way to preserve your crucibles is to place them in the burnout oven and buy the slotted ones..
You cast much faster when preheat.....and don't try to save pennies, just replace..

Principefly

Principefly

Reaction score
For ***:
Do not know "rub white Flouride" please give me an example .. name and brand of a product?
Thank you.
For Charles 007:
Preheating always crucibles, however, will form immediately after the first fusion already, a layer of oxides.
Do not ever want any particles of oxide or part of the crucible was incorporated in the NP ..
thanks

Principefly

Principefly

Reaction score
Ok Scott thanks!
I tried doing a search with google .. but obviously I am not smart enough!:rolleyes::D

C

charles007

Reaction score
For Charles 007:
Preheating always crucibles, however, will form immediately after the first fusion already, a layer of oxides.
Do not ever want any particles of oxide or part of the crucible was incorporated in the NP ..
thanks[/QUOTE]
For Principefly,
Call any companiey that makes NP... that's where I learned it from... back in the 80's
Incorporating pieces of your crucible in NP,, just how many years old is your crucible ? really

If I wanted to go back to using np and casting between .1 and .2, it takes a hot crucible, and a clean one to not have problems with my porcelain.. :p

Last edited:
CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Principefly,
Is the oxide layer (slag) sticking to your crucible after you cast it? It shouldn't, it should just peel away cleanly. If it isn't you are probably overheating.
Season your crucibles with flux as Scott suggests and I preheat in the burnout furnace as Charles does.