Could I Do Remote CAD Work?

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
I'm sorry about the change in work situation, and I was reminded about a guy in this network who was looking for a cad technician to do remote work. Then I thought of you and now I read this thread at the same time that I was thinking about getting a cad tech to do some designing. I will give you a go if you set up as I would love an experience designer do design until my lab became experienced. Looking forward to the way you go whichever it is

-Patrick

Thanks Patrick. I should know something in a month or two. Something tells me the boss might have been just posturing. Time will tell. I am a firm believer that though we may plan out our lives, God orders our steps. (Prov. 16:9)
And now back to our regular programming: "bandwidth"

Last edited by a moderator:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
There's no reason why you couldn't freelance .

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
I tried Full Contour last year when I went on vacation. It was very hit-or-miss. Some cases were designed in the allotted time - some were not. The quality of the designs was all over the map which I surmised was due to different techs. I've often thought there was room for a designer whom small lab owners could use while on vacation or when ill that offered a certain level of personal service. The problem is how do you manage the workflow. Maybe a subscription - I buy 100 designs for a set fee. I have to use all designs within a given time frame, and I call only use x number of designs in any given day. And, you could take reservations. i.e., I'm going on vacation in August, and I'm averaging x number of designs per day, so I want to reserve a certain amount of your design time during that week. It could get complicated...

K

kmgold1234

www.dess-usa.com
Reaction score
Kara-
You should pitch your idea to the dental lab scanner companies. I tried this with a large materials manufacturer when I was selling the Optimet scanner. Scan in one location, send the stl file to you on your server, you design the part with the design software, and shoot back the stl to the milling center so the small lab just needs a basic scanner to scan only. KISS principal

Betalab

Betalab

Reaction score
Thanks Patrick. I should know something in a month or two. Something tells me the boss might have been just posturing. Time will tell.
If your boss is doing this then you need to be your own boss.
Just reading all the support threads you have heaps of options. Just grab the juiciest one and squeeze it.

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
If your boss is doing this then you need to be your own boss.
Just reading all the support threads you have heaps of options. Just grab the juiciest one and squeeze it.

Thanks for the encouragement. Yeah, it's not nice to do that, but I need to see MY part in this, and maybe it was the kick in the pants that I needed to work on my issues and be a better person AND lab tech. We'll see what happens.

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
He was posturing indeed, but like any dysfunctional relationship, when it's good, it's good and you never think it will be bad again, but when it's bad, you wish you would've done something when it was good. So I am just gonna do my work, enjoy the good money that he pays me, the 5 minute commute, the predictable hours, the 10 units a week, and hope that I have risen above engaging him. Nothing like removing yourself from "the fight". Bullies don't know what to do in that situation. Usually they pick someone else to kick.
After he shot down my idea of being a milling center for other labs, he said I could pursue it. Who knows, maybe since he knows nothing about that, (shoot, neither do I),he will give me my space. It's a shame to waste three idle Rolands. Then it will come down to whether or not I want to "partner" with him on that.
Meanwhile, I'm gonna put my foot in the water of freelance designing, a soft launch. I'll try it out on the computer at work after 5 on Mondays and Tuesdays-when he doesn't come in-is that bad? If it works, I'll jump in and get my own set-up, take scan files, converting through *** when need be, and when the bossman gets his arse on his shoulders again, I will relish telling him what he should do. popcorn
Any suggestions for computer specs? And from whom should I buy it? What should I charge for designing? What would you pay?

Last edited:
Top Bottom