Could I Do Remote CAD Work?

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
Visiting all career options, I have thought of possibly either doing remote scans for a "larger" lab or opening my own little lemonaide stand and working for more than one little lab. Could I even monetarily compete with the other operations that have designers in other countries working overnight? FullContour || Your On-Demand Design Center! / Home
I only just recently considered this as an option, so I have yet to think of anything beyond the need for speed and productivity, a license, and a go-to-heck computer. Of course I would prefer to work for a lab locally, but who knows where that may lead. That being said, I am far from a number-cruncher, tax attorney, lab owner, etc., so any and all thoughts on this matter would be great. :decision:

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
teamviewer 8 is amazing.

Same as sitting in person at a lab IMO.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
I had that idea and called it 3shape cloud as I was editing something via remote connect with one of our milling centers back in the day. Problem was, just too laggy...

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
no it is not.

teamviewer 8 has zero lag. colors and speed are great! mouse/movements and clicking are instant.

You must be thinking of an older version.....version 7 or previous.

If both partys have teamviewer 8 (which EVERYONE should just download for free right now),then it is completly fine.

We give CAD and CAM demos using it, and I fix peoples machines and modify software all day long, from customers all over the planet.

Bob Ross

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I had that idea and called it 3shape cloud as I was editing something via remote connect with one of our milling centers back in the day. Problem was, just too laggy...

I agree Marcus. Too laggy. It's nice to be able to assist remotely but I would hate to build a business off of it. I have team viewer 8 on both my PCs. 50 Mb Internet connection. Just hooked to one from the other and watched the lag....

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Jason, you are really not suppose to have Two session on the same IP, unless you pay BIG bucks.

I am supprised you did not get booted off in a few seconds.

That was a B.S. test IMO.

I still say it is great and no lag. You can call teamviewer and ask about the details if you are interested.

exocad allows me to use one of their payed licenses.

C

charles007

Reaction score
I use teamview 8 since the update came out and it lags working with B&D ?

JOINME.COM has much better color,,, don't know if its a faster or slower lag,, Gotomeeting, etc ... they all lag

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
***, how much are the makers of Team Viewer paying you?
Anyway, i dont think TV8 can take all the credit... If your having such great performance, I think your ISP and the bandwith they provide you are playing a role as well... Either way, I'm glad everything's smooth.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Can you please call and watch for yourself?

804-285-0777 You can join brad with Four monitors running many many CAM instances at once, or Lauren scanning and designing.

All my station have multiple monitors, and you can toggle back and fourth.

Ask for Brad or Lauren. (not me)

I notice no lag at all. Nothing to complain about.

2bearnest

Reaction score
Bandwidth is a measure of capacity
Latency is a measure of delay
Check your PING on speedtest as well

C

charles007

Reaction score
The lag I'm talking about is when someone takes control of your computer mouse in cad..

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
If One party has paid license of teamviewer 8...it is great.

If both are just "borrowing" a free license, then maybe it is slower.

If you are trying to connect to a PC inside your own network with both as free trials (Same IP address) it was impossible I thought, but I guess Jason did it somehow??

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test will let you test your actual speed, I just ran the test and got 24.47Mbps download and 3.99Mbps upload.

Yep, it's all about available bandwidth with the respective server. One could have the fastest connection ever and still will be limited by the weakest link's bandwidth down the routing path... BTW I got 62.7 Mb/s down and 5.23 Mb/s up speed with a ping of 26 ms... is that good or bad ?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Visiting all career options, I have thought of possibly either doing remote scans for a "larger" lab or opening my own little lemonaide stand and working for more than one little lab. Could I even monetarily compete with the other operations that have designers in other countries working overnight? FullContour || Your On-Demand Design Center! / Home
I only just recently considered this as an option, so I have yet to think of anything beyond the need for speed and productivity, a license, and a go-to-heck computer. Of course I would prefer to work for a lab locally, but who knows where that may lead. That being said, I am far from a number-cruncher, tax attorney, lab owner, etc., so any and all thoughts on this matter would be great. :decision:

Apart from the crew above who are comparing the width of their bands, I think there are plenty of small lab owners that would appreciate your technical assistance in all things cad/cam Kara.

M

martintay

Reaction score
How about a big "***" bus fitted out as a mobile milling center !

Betalab

Betalab

Reaction score
no it is not.

teamviewer 8 has zero lag. colors and speed are great! mouse/movements and clicking are instant.

You must be thinking of an older version.....version 7 or previous.

If both partys have teamviewer 8 (which EVERYONE should just download for free right now),then it is completly fine.

We give CAD and CAM demos using it, and I fix peoples machines and modify software all day long, from customers all over the planet.

Bob Ross
I agree with this fully. Even all the way to Australia *** can adjust your settings and download files and play pink Floyd . It is as quick and in person as if you we there. Even conversations in notepad are talked over

-Patrick

Betalab

Betalab

Reaction score
I'm sorry about the change in work situation, and I was reminded about a guy in this network who was looking for a cad technician to do remote work. Then I thought of you and now I read this thread at the same time that I was thinking about getting a cad tech to do some designing. I will give you a go if you set up as I would love an experience designer do design until my lab became experienced. Looking forward to the way you go whichever it is

-Patrick

Betalab

Betalab

Reaction score
Yep, it's all about available bandwidth with the respective server. One could have the fastest connection ever and still will be limited by the weakest link's bandwidth down the routing path... BTW I got 62.7 Mb/s down and 5.23 Mb/s up speed with a ping of 26 ms... is that good or bad ?

I dont know Zero........Been waiting 15 minutes for the app to download....is that good or bad ;)

Top Bottom