Considering to buy GC Aadva

T

Torquadon

Reaction score
We are planning to buy scanner which works with Exocad. So far we have been using 3Shape 810 an old DentalWings 3 series. 3Shape does very good job although license is expensive and second scanner we want without yearly fee. We are based in UK.

Question is how does GC Aadva compares to other Exocad Scanners like DOF, Medit or Open Technologies?

Reason we consider GC is their implant module. We have Yenadent DC-40 milling machine and we want to mill our abutments and bridges.

Any advice much appreciated.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Reason we consider GC is their implant module. We have Yenadent DC-40 milling machine and we want to mill our abutments and bridges.

Why not just get generic exocad with implant module and the scanner if your choice?

T

Torquadon

Reaction score
Why not just get generic exocad with implant module and the scanner if your choice?

Because GC has dedicated implant module with their own libraries, and if I buy generic implant module for exocad I have to buy libraries separately so we talking bigger money here, hence the question how does the scanner itself compares to competition. Is there anything competition scanners are better at to justify bigger expense.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Exocad implant libraries come with the software. They also have the most extensive implant library.

T

Torquadon

Reaction score
So if I buy exocad implant module there will be libraries (included, not at extra charge?) which will allow me to export stl file with fixture head so I can mill abutment from blank block? Are you sure abut it, because from what I have been told is: you buy implant module and then you need to buy libraries separately. Could you please give me some reference to that information?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
So if I buy exocad implant module there will be libraries (included, not at extra charge?) which will allow me to export stl file with fixture head so I can mill abutment from blank block? Are you sure abut it, because from what I have been told is: you buy implant module and then you need to buy libraries separately. Could you please give me some reference to that information?

Implant libraries.jpg

This is what comes with basic exocad. You will have to buy the implant module separately. $1200 If I remember correctly.
Total for both basic exocad and implant module is around $6200. Everytime exocad introduces a new build there are more implants added to the library.

http://exocad.com/our-products/#/dental-cad/addon-module/implant

Maybe one of the resellers that participate here will chime in.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I'll add that implant libraries are free to down load from the various manufacturers for exocad, 3Shape and Mental Wings.

T

Torquadon

Reaction score
What I can see here, correct me if I am wrong, are libraries for ti-bases (medentica, dess),not with fixture heads. I am aware you can get free libraries to mill and then cement structure to ti-base, it is not what I am looking for. I am mostly looking for info how GC scanner compares to other exocad scanners.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Some for Ti bases some solid Ti some for milling from blanks with premilled geometry. You can make your own libraries for solid Ti after you are familiar with the system.
Drizzt has a GC system I believe.

Robeau

Robeau

Reaction score
We had the first Gc Aadva scanner here in the states, I gave them a lot of input. I have heard that it is working well in Europe after they reworked the software. The scanner has some great technology inside built around GOM. If your able to get good support from Europe it could be a good purchase all things considered, if your here in the states, it could and will most likely be difficult getting support. There are some other good exocad scanners, DOF being one of them, we are using Zirkonzahn scanner along with our trusty 3shape D700.
It's really to bad GC-AT shut down there operation, they did a really nice job on their abutments.

T

Tsujen

Reaction score
We use the Aadva scanner in lab and it's great with implants and bars. For bar cases usually scan the case with DOF and than the scan bodies with GC and match them together and get great results with that. Like above said support in the states is going to be tough to get and probably even tougher to get the scanner in general, but if you know people you can get support from europe when you need it.

Also like others have said you don't need the GC scanner just for the implant library, you can use any exocad scanner. Plus if you buy scan bodies from a company the library is usually free with them for exocad.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
We use the Aadva scanner in lab and it's great with implants and bars. For bar cases usually scan the case with DOF and than the scan bodies with GC and match them together and get great results with that. Like above said support in the states is going to be tough to get and probably even tougher to get the scanner in general, but if you know people you can get support from europe when you need it.

Also like others have said you don't need the GC scanner just for the implant library, you can use any exocad scanner. Plus if you buy scan bodies from a company the library is usually free with them for exocad.

Why are you using two scanners? Just curious.

T

Tsujen

Reaction score
Why are you using two scanners? Just curious.
For bars it's less important since you have no opposing, but for all on 4's and full arch wax up scans it's nice to scan on the DOF to get an accurate bite and than scan on the GC for the jaw scan and scan bodies for accuracy of that. We've done testing and get better fit with bars and all on 4's doing this.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
We are planning to buy scanner which works with Exocad. So far we have been using 3Shape 810 an old DentalWings 3 series. 3Shape does very good job although license is expensive and second scanner we want without yearly fee. We are based in UK.

Question is how does GC Aadva compares to other Exocad Scanners like DOF, Medit or Open Technologies?

Any advice much appreciated.

Hey Torquadon ,

I have the GC Aadva scanner , and I also have a custom built Yenadent D40 and a D15 . GC Aadva works great for us , we are doing lots of implant cases . The scanflags system kicks ass , it is the faster and most hustle free scanning system out there from what I know . It is accurate too .

Nowdays , the GC implant library is more complete than the earlier days , but you also have many many other libraries to choose from . I use Target3d a lot . It is complete , with good files , and it is complete , meaning not only the Ti base files , but the complete files with the interface . It is a good choice , go for it .

T

Torquadon

Reaction score
We have been testing GC scanner for 2 weeks.

We finally decided to go for Identica blue 2015. There were few reasons behind this. First of all GC was behind with updates (I believe it is due to their software being modified),and version we were testing could not design dental bands on offset copings. May sound like a small thing but we scan at least 20 single metal copings a day so it is massive waste of time. Also single unit plate can scan 8 units rather then 5, which is again time saver. Another thing is that I find Yenadent libraries equally as good as GC and I prefer ELOS scan jigs over GC ones simply because if you have case with high teeth and tight space GC one doesn't fit, doesn't happen very often but still. I believe that Medit scanner is a bit faster.

Al over my impression while using GC scanner was that it is kind of outdated. I didn't find anything massively wrong with it but I could not find anything that is better then our 3Shape D810, and with Identica Blue case was exactly opposite, it is faster, designs are easier and nicer then on 3Shape.

I do not claim that my assessment is objective, I believe I could find people who would would make exactly opposite conclusions, but for our needs (lab which scans around 1k units a month) Identica Blue was a better choice.

Thanks for all advice.