Changing vertical dimension in Exocad

• Thread starter Dentures Direct
  • Start date
D

Dentures Direct

Reaction score
Hello everyone! We have a question and hope that you can help us out...
Is there any way that we can change the vertical dimension occlusion for complete dentures in Exocad *without* using the articulator module, or do we absolutely need this module in order to change it?
Thank you very much for your help!!

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
the articulator module will only be useable in Single arch dentures, for dual arch it is disabled.

exocad built the denture module to cater to old school denture techs who naturally would start design from the point where the bite has been accurately scanned and the casts are finalized.

if you are doing just one arch, you can open the pin.

if you are doing both, go back and redo bite reg with wax rims and ensure the scan is correct, this is the only way you can proceed.

DigiSculpt Design Center

DigiSculpt Design Center

Reaction score
Is there any way that we can change the vertical dimension occlusion for complete dentures in Exocad *without* using the articulator module, or do we absolutely need this module in order to change it?
05.09.2023_15.18.20_REC.gif

D

Dentures Direct

Reaction score
the articulator module will only be useable in Single arch dentures, for dual arch it is disabled.

exocad built the denture module to cater to old school denture techs who naturally would start design from the point where the bite has been accurately scanned and the casts are finalized.

if you are doing just one arch, you can open the pin.

if you are doing both, go back and redo bite reg with wax rims and ensure the scan is correct, this is the only way you can proceed.
That cant be, can it?. My retailer told me to register my bites with a centric tray. Obviously they are going to be overclosed. There has to be a way to correct VDO. And as clinician I rarely find the VDO I recorded during bite reg to be "perfect" There are always changes to vertical after the try in. 1 or 2 more/less mm of freeway space etc. This software cant possibly be this clunky.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
1693946102583.png
from the reseller changelog and release notes for v2.4 or build 7290

aint nothin changed since.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Why not just "correct antagonist" If you only want a vertical movement? Did I miss something?

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
You want to "smoosh" the bite down a couple of mm and push up the anteriors a bit to compensate, and want to do this virtually? If virtual is supposed to be more exacting, might be easier to have dentist take/scan correct bite than all the "smooshing" back and forth that throws the bite off. Edit/reading on further looks like possible immediate upper?. I'd leave on articulator otherwise you risk open bites.

Last edited:
W

WizardsoftheBench

Reaction score
Why not just "correct antagonist" If you only want a vertical movement? Did I miss something?
This 100%. Go to expert mode and then right click on the arch you want to move and select correct antagonist and then you can select the option to move freely or in xy plane.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Even in C&B you can only move theVDO if you are doing one arch at a time . Have no idea why.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Go to Expert mode. Click on the antagonist. Correct height. Just did it to check.

DigiSculpt Design Center

DigiSculpt Design Center

Reaction score
Does this mean you can change the vertical dimension in Meshmixer?
Yes, but also you can do it in Exocad just as easily. If you want to use the virtual articulator rather than just the "Correct Height" feature just save your upper and lower meshes from the scene individually, create a faux file that's indicated for anything that allows for the articulator to be used, import them in, adjust as needed, save the two arches in their new occlusal scheme as one STL, go back to your the original file, load that mesh in as your new bite, align and voila