Cementing/Bonding Katana STML crown to an endodontically treated molar

N

NET

Reaction score
Should Katana STML be bonded or cemented to the molar? (Upper, first maxillary after root canal treatment)
I understand Katana has a specific protocol for bonding the crown with Panavia, but I would like to hear all opinions on the matter and what would be most recommended.
To bond or to cement? And what material is recommended for either? I'm specifically interested in fluoride free cements as opposed to RMGI.

I'd be happy to hear from professionals who have experience using Katana STML.
TIA

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Should Katana STML be bonded or cemented to the molar? (Upper, first maxillary after root canal treatment)
I understand Katana has a specific protocol for bonding the crown with Panavia, but I would like to hear all opinions on the matter and what would be most recommended.
To bond or to cement? And what material is recommended for either? I'm specifically interested in fluoride free cements as opposed to RMGI.

TIA
Greetings Earthling! Welcome!

G

grantoz

Reaction score
you can bond katana zi with any of the zi bonding systems i think katana and panavia are business buddies.

N

NET

Reaction score
you can bond katana zi with any of the zi bonding systems i think katana and panavia are business buddies.
Are there any specific biocompatible cements you would recommend, specifically ones that are low in fluoride release?
Also, would it be safe to cement Zirconia with temporary cement for a trial stage - or should that be avoided at all costs?

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Are there any specific biocompatible cements you would recommend, specifically ones that are low in fluoride release?
Also, would it be safe to cement Zirconia with temporary cement for a trial stage - or should that be avoided at all costs?

As long as it is a full crown with a good retentive prep, temporary cementation should not be an issue.

N

NET

Reaction score
As long as it is a full crown with a good retentive prep, temporary cementation should not be an issue.
Is there a risk that it may be too hard to dislodge the Zirconia crown after a few days with temporary cement?
Mechanical retention is good, and prep is minimal & subgingival - I'm therefore concerned that even a temporary cement will be strong enough and too difficult to remove on order to place permanent cementation after trial.
I'm concerned I'll be left with a temporarily cemented crown.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Is there a risk that it may be too hard to dislodge the Zirconia crown after a few days with temporary cement?
Mechanical retention is good, and prep is minimal & subgingival - I'm therefore concerned that even a temporary cement will be strong enough and too difficult to remove on order to place permanent cementation after trial.
I'm concerned I'll be left with a temporarily cemented crown.

I would say it could be an issue, if the prep is really retentive. I have seen doctors have a difficult time removing temporarily cemented restorations with really good prep form. Temp cement will eventually wash out and dislodge, but maybe not while in the chair.

N

NET

Reaction score
I would say it could be an issue, if the prep is really retentive. I have seen doctors have a difficult time removing temporarily cemented restorations with really good prep form. Temp cement will eventually wash out and dislodge, but maybe not while in the chair.
I understand.
Which specific cements would you recommend for cementing monolithic Zirconia crowns (specifically Katana STML)? I'm interested in non fluoridated cements or ones with low fluoride content.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
I understand.
Which specific cements would you recommend for cementing monolithic Zirconia crowns (specifically Katana STML)? I'm interested in non fluoridated cements or ones with low fluoride content.

For all of our Zirconia products we recommend SpeedCEM Plus. It is self-adhesive resin cement with high strength and ease of use. Should work well on any zirconia product out there. I am including a couple pieces of literature on the product for you to look at.

Attachments

• SpeedCEM Plus - Brochure.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • SpeedCEM Plus - IFU.pdf
    762.3 KB · Views: 10
  • SpeedCEM Plus - Scientific Documentation.pdf
    668.2 KB · Views: 8
  • SpeedCEM Plus - Use FlowChart.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
N

NET

Reaction score
For all of our Zirconia products we recommend SpeedCEM Plus. It is self-adhesive resin cement with high strength and ease of use. Should work well on any zirconia product out there. I am including a couple pieces of literature on the product for you to look at.
Thanks!
Are the cements you suggested moisture sensitive?
Meaning, would there be a necessity to use a rubber dam during cementation of the crown with SpeedCem or other RMGI cements? If yes, can a dam be used on subgingival prep?

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Thanks!
Are the cements you suggested moisture sensitive?
Meaning, would there be a necessity to use a rubber dam during cementation of the crown with SpeedCem or other RMGI cements? If yes, can a dam be used on subgingival prep?

According to the instructions, no isolation is required. Excess moisture should be removed, but desiccation of the prep will reduce the bond. A dam is a great option if available or possible, and I think it depends on how far Sub-gingival you are.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score

TIA
You can do both. It is up to the dentist.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
I understand.
You could even use Zinc Phosphate cement if need be.

Top Bottom