Can I reheat a casting if I'm out of alloy?

Trey

Trey

Reaction score
We ran into a problem today - thought our gold shipment came in but it was something else. We used High Temp Whip Mix investment. It was heated up. Can we let it cool and reheat tomorrow to cast? I hate to wax the crowns again.

Thanks,
Trey

Fogember

Reaction score
Had that happen! I've left the ring in the hot oven til the next day. Made the casting when the alloy arrived. Didn't seem to affect the fit. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Sometimes you will see the effects of investment break down doing this.
50-50 chance it works perfect. Worse case scenario, you wax them again.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, l assumed the the alloy will arrive in a timely fashion as well, but it did not. I reheated the ring the next day and casted with no visibile harm. Those were single units not sure on long span bridges thou.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Had the same issue a few times. Running it up cold from room temp the next morning worked out fine using GC Fujivest II.
Once with a UCLA Talk about sweat, I'd checked the wrong metal box.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
It would be safer to leave the ring in the hot oven till the next day. If the investment is kept at a stable temperature there is less chance of stress than going from the heat-cool-heat cycle. You shouldn't have to worry about any breakdown of the investment in the time span of a day. I would worry if we started getting to the 36hour or greater point.

Trey

Trey

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your input. We allowed it to cool overnight and will try casting today. We'll see how it goes and I'll try to report back. Thanks & Merry Christmas!

M

MasterCeramist

Reaction score
I have done that before. Left ring in oven and turned oven off for a slow cool. Ran it back to temp the next day and it went fine.

Top Bottom