Cad from home?

T

thewhitelab

Reaction score
Hi,
I would like to do my cad design at home while doing all the scanning at work? Does anyone work in this way?
Was thinking possibly a powerful laptop? or possibly using dropbox and just transferring the dongle from one computer to another?
has anyone used either method or done things differently
thanks

KTR

KTR

Reaction score
You can use Logmein. Try it. It will alow you take control as if you are there and you could do it from a Droid or an iphone if you wanted.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
team viewer
go to my PC
Remote Desktop Connection
or take home dongle if possible.

You can pass files back and fourth between PCs in different networks or locations with FTP x-fer or all sorts of options.

But I don't do this.
I like to have the physical model and all case info right in front of me
I'm not taking my work home. No way.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Hi,
I would like to do my cad design at home while doing all the scanning at work? Does anyone work in this way?
Was thinking possibly a powerful laptop? or possibly using dropbox and just transferring the dongle from one computer to another?
has anyone used either method or done things differently
thanks

I understand the idea, and not a bad idea when you want to leave early from work and design that last case later at home, etc etc.. If your talking about doing alot of designing at home, I think its a bad idea unless you have a very long commute to work or have other reasons for working at home.

Joinme which is free, and Go To Meeting are 2 more ways to connect..

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
I do this on occasion. I have a nice laptop that ill take home with my dongle and design either from home or when I am on the road for business. It works great and very useful when it is needed!

Toast

Toast

Reaction score
I've thought about doing this on occasion if we get a scanner. Even with a good laptop wouldn't it be sluggish trying to design remotely via team viewer, go to my pc, etc? What would be the minimum Internet speed needed to do this successfully?

T

thewhitelab

Reaction score
I agree not something you would want to do in a regular basis, but great for learning without the pressure of other jobs mounting up around you.

T

thewhitelab

Reaction score
Toast, The idea of the laptop would not to use it remotely, but to scan with it then take it home with all files

C

charles007

Reaction score
There's a lag on your end of designing when using Go to Meeting,, Teamviewer, and all the rest..

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
You can leave the dongle at work and point the port to your laptop so you can remote in. You can have up to five different computers from a single dongle designing. You need to make sure you have a really good graphics card so the lag will be minimal as well as RAM. I haven't tried this all, but I know it can be done because there has been a discussion of me being able to design at home.

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
I am doing this in the morn, not loads of work but enough to keep me away from the kids for longer than I would want at the weekend if I had to go into work. I have a couple of full ti shells to scan in and about 14 single units in Ti, an implant case and 2 temps. Zip them all up and send them by email to myself, call one of the guys who lives near the lab who loads them in and its all ready for monday morn for the ceramic guys. Pete

T

thewhitelab

Reaction score
Hi Pete, i can see you are well versed in cad cam, I am only a few miles from you would there be any chance in the future off me dropping by? I know your busy so no problem if not
Cheers
Adam

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
Hi Pete, i can see you are well versed in cad cam, I am only a few miles from you would there be any chance in the future off me dropping by? I know your busy so no problem if not
Cheers
Adam

Hi Adam, We would love for you to come down any time you like, KaVo have some sort of bridging software for 3shape so if you want bring a couple of units and we can get them milled for you. Or just come down and have a play with the Exo software oe the Engine. Pete 07712894479

Slipstream

Slipstream

Reaction score
No problems installing multiple copies of 3Shape - just take the dongle home - never tried the port pointing idea - but we have one guy who uses his mac from home with scans done in the office (and then forgets to bring the dongle to work - but thats another story)