Cad Cam software

D

dean

Reaction score
Hi guys I have looking at a new mill a Roland but am unsure what cad and cam to use. I have been looking at 3 Shape and Exocad both look good but not sure what do you guys think. Also with cam software Sum 3d or Dentmill.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Almost all Roland users are using Sum3d and seem to be happy with it . Aa for Cad I would go with Exocad , everybody is saying that it's the most bug-free software out there . If you can, try them both and see for yourself . Hope that helps , good luck .

D

dean

Reaction score
Hey, thanks there are so many options out there.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
I know . Before buying my milling machine , I was researching for over a year . Whatever you do , do some hard thinking on it . I didn't when I bought my scanner , I also didn't know , and now I am not that happy with it .

D

dean

Reaction score
What did you originally have. What ate you using now.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Both 3Shape and Exocad are very good systems. I believe you will be happy with either. I have limited experience with Exocad. So, I am basing this on the hundreds of posts here at DLN.
When looking for CAM your need to really have the integration and optimization work DONE! If you can find a distributor that has optimized the CAM package for the mill you just need to see the result of the milled units and get mill times per unit info. I think the best way to go is to send your potential dealer a few STL files and have them mill them. Ask how long it took and you can determine the quality once they get back to you. If you would like I can send you some files with very intricate anatomical detain. Have them milled using Sum 3D and Dentmill. I can also provide the samples for the Sum 3D.
Last but certainly not least. Make sure you buy form a distributor that will provide good support. When you run int a problem it great to get the fix quick.

D

dean

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. You are right support is very important more than any one realizes.

D

dean

Reaction score
I have an Imetric scanner has anyone any experience with this scanner with exocad or 3shape.

anil patel

anil patel

Reaction score
i am using dentmill software , don't buy it ,because you cant make your strategy , dentmill is close cam software ,so if you want to buy so you should go to sum3d,

thanks

Dentaleng

Dentaleng

Reaction score
Make a informed decision about CAM. It is the most important link in your CAD CAM system. A wrong CAM can shorten the life of your milling unit, shorten tool life, job rejections etc. As someone pointed out milling strategies/templates I don't think a lab is much informed about milling technology and hence won't be able to decide on the milling parameters like speeds and feeds, chip removal, cutter form and lengths etc.
It would be much important when you would like to upgrade your lab to do implant milling and metal.
Look into the history of Company developing the CAM.

Dentaleng

Dentaleng

Reaction score
Anil, from when r u using DentMILL and have u used Sum3D. What milling machine r u using?

D

dean

Reaction score
I am using a kavo everest mill with dentcad and dentmill. But I am looking into a Roland. I cut mainly zirconia some titanium bars. I would like to start moving into more cad design and less with a wax knife. I think that is the future.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
What did you originally have. What ate you using now.

I had and still have a Wieland S100 scanner , with Dental Wings OS . I have some diffyculties with the software , but I have an old version of it , so I can't really say for the new one the new scanners of DW have . If I bought a scanner now , I would buy a scanner which has Exocad . I am seriously considering buying Exocad and import scan STL files from my scanner .