Bought Datron D5 Linear Scales... need something for glass ceramics

Neuralgia

Neuralgia

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm kinda new here.

I bough a Datron D5 Linear scales, so we could machine bars.

Unfortunately, with this thing you can do great stuff, but no glass ceramics.

What would you guys recommend for that? Wieland? Zirkohn-Zahn? Some other?

Thanks in advance,

Dan from Costa Rica

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
We have been milling e.max CAD with the Imes 450i. No chipping, great results. We are also distributing Imes. If you want to try a few units let me know.

M

Mjr

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm kinda new here.

Thanks in advance,

Dan from Costa Rica

HI Dan, May I ask how you are getting on with the D5 as I am considering a similar package?
Regards
Marcel

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that your mill could grind ceramic blocks no problem....all you need is a fixture adapter and tools ( there are quite a few on the market). Your reseller should be able to setup your CAM in no time...

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
We are milling ceramics with Imes 250i 450i and 550i. Great results.

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that your mill could grind ceramic blocks no problem....all you need is a fixture adapter and tools ( there are quite a few on the market). Your reseller should be able to setup your CAM in no time...

No. No Glass on Datron.

You need flood-coolant to keep the diamonds from getting clogged-up.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm kinda new here.

Thanks in advance,

Dan from Costa Rica

Hi Dan which cam you have ? how much you want to mill per day? only glass and e-max ? only single units ?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
No. No Glass on Datron.

You need flood-coolant to keep the diamonds from getting clogged-up.

Thought it has flood cooling for its price :rolleyes:...could it be possible to add a pump and different nozzles to it though ?

Orthodox

Orthodox

Reaction score
I dont think so, with the D5 Linear Scales you can not mill ceramic

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Thought it has flood cooling for its price :rolleyes:...could it be possible to add a pump and different nozzles to it though ?

No, I don't think so. The chamber is just not designed for it to work that way.

Only high-volume air and a wee-bit of mist to cool.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
I would suggest outsourcing your emax milling if you are not going to press I have a zzm5 people who have tried wet milling on this machine have had probs and the same goes for girbarch.im trialling a vhf machine as we speak they havnt really got that sorted yet for wet milling even though it can technically do it.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I would suggest outsourcing your emax milling if you are not going to press I have a zzm5 people who have tried wet milling on this machine have had probs and the same goes for girbarch.im trialling a vhf machine as we speak they havnt really got that sorted yet for wet milling even though it can technically do it.

Some of the DLN members have been talking about the VHF Select off site and yes it appears it will be 3rd quarter before Ivoclar releases the wet version. Its looking like I will be getting an IMES unless something dramatic is released at mid winter to the contrary.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I told you I would be more than happy to send you photos or videos of my 450i when it gets here John?;)

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
Some of the DLN members have been talking about the VHF Select off site and yes it appears it will be 3rd quarter before Ivoclar releases the wet version. Its looking like I will be getting an IMES unless something dramatic is released at mid winter to the contrary.

The Imes is your best bet! You can't go wrong with it, it has already proved it's self to be a beast.

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
I told you I would be more than happy to send you photos or videos of my 450i when it gets here John?;)

Get that 450i and moved down here man we would make a killing then!

G

grantoz

Reaction score
Today I had an experience that is valuable for all techs I have an zz m5 I have owned it now for 5 years approx.It has 5 spindles and is very reliable , today I had one spindle fail and one become a little sloppy so all I did was disable them because I had 5 spindles even though I dropped back to 3 i had no down time and just kept milling . later in the day I contacted zz bruneck gais they diagnosed the problems told me how to repair 1 over the phone and sent me the part for the other which I will get in 2-3 days total cost 200 euro still no down time . Fricking fantastic I think this is a valuable lesson always look at what happens if something goes wrong before you buy the machine true it isn't as fancy looking without a bur changer etc but the thing is a fricking tractor it just keeps going even if its down compression on a couple of cylinders like an old chevy v8.

DentalAxess

DentalAxess

Reaction score

Grant, just of curiosity, what does the VHF provide you that the Zirkon Zahn M5 can't offer?
As with everything in this industry I would judge the system for what it can deliver now, not tomorrow.
If you want to mill e.max...as Tyler already pointed out, the imes-icore 450i or even 250i is proven to do it really well.
Also would be interesting to get your thoughts on the CAM software provided by VHF in comparison to Zirkon Zahn (SUM3D).

G

grantoz

Reaction score
I was just relaying a positive experience and something to think about when purchasing a 1st or second or third machine.So you want to turn it around as to what it couldn't do and then put your product forward as a winner im guessing and googleing that your a dental supply company.so ill ask you this with the imes icore can you still mill if the spindle breaks down.From my experience all the cam software zz sum 3d and vhf are fine just different.I will still stand by my earlier statement that its best to outsource your emax milling as wet milling is much harder on the machine because of moisture no mater how well everything is waterproofed.Just look at the servicing costs of sirona machines. .

DentalAxess

DentalAxess

Reaction score
I was just relaying a positive experience and something to think about when purchasing a 1st or second or third machine.So you want to turn it around as to what it couldn't do and then put your product forward as a winner im guessing and googleing that your a dental supply company.so ill ask you this with the imes icore can you still mill if the spindle breaks down.From my experience all the cam software zz sum 3d and vhf are fine just different.I will still stand by my earlier statement that its best to outsource your emax milling as wet milling is much harder on the machine because of moisture no mater how well everything is waterproofed.Just look at the servicing costs of sirona machines. .

The OP asked about a mill that could successfully mill glass ceramics and hence my reply. It's great to hear that you are happy with Zirkon Zahn, that's why I was curious if the VHF offer any benefits over your existing system, in your opinion. In terms of spindle break down, no, you can't continue milling on an imes however, I guess we are not comparing apples and apples here with a 100W spindle (ZZ M5) vs 1000W (450i) so I would expect a different lifetime.
I see no issues milling glass ceramics in production provided your system in designed to do so, however, I would be hesitant to continuously move between wet and dry as it would impact the lifetime of the spindle.
Hence a setup with dry and wet mill would be ideal e.g. Dry Zirkon Zahn: Zirconia, PMMA, Wax, Wet Imes-icore: glass ceramics, titanium, cobalt chrome) - All run by the same CAM for ease of use (SUM3D).