Blowing a breaker

user name

user name

Reaction score
I have a 20 amp circuit that only has two suction units on it. They are Quatro ivac twins. My booklet says they are 7 amp. Ive had no issues for years, but now the breaker is blowing when they both run. Ive felt the breaker and its just a bit warm.

Even if my filters are plugged, 7 amps should be the max, right? Im going to replace all the filters today. Could it be drawing more amps if one of the motots is getting ready to fail? Im prepared, so I have replacement motors waiting.

Could it just be a bad breaker?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I have a 20 amp circuit that only has two suction units on it. They are Quatro ivac twins. My booklet says they are 7 amp. Ive had no issues for years, but now the breaker is blowing when they both run. Ive felt the breaker and its just a bit warm.

Even if my filters are plugged, 7 amps should be the max, right? Im going to replace all the filters today. Could it be drawing more amps if one of the motots is getting ready to fail? Im prepared, so I have replacement motors waiting.

Could it just be a bad breaker?
Bad breaker is a good bet.

Motors will also overamp if the power is bad. Like in a brownout. But good on you for having spare motors

user name

user name

Reaction score
Bad breaker is a good bet.

Motors will also overamp if the power is bad. Like in a brownout. But good on you for having spare motors
Are all breakers created equal?Im assuming whatever the current electrical code demands, thats what Menards would have (?)

Ive never replaced one. Is it just pull out, push in, or should I call an electrician and have some testing done?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Are all breakers created equal?Im assuming whatever the current electrical code demands, thats what Menards would have (?)

Ive never replaced one. Is it just pull out, push in, or should I call an electrician and have some testing done?
There are some differences, but nothing that needs to be worried about. Just a change in internals over the years that make them more efficient at their job.

They do just pull out as you suggest. Take the one with you that needs replacing. The staff there will get you sorted out in 30 seconds. You want to make absolutely certain no power is running through it. Unplug anything on that circuit, don't just turn it off.

doug

doug

Reaction score
I'd check the wires goiing to and from the breaker. Over time that frequency will cause them to loosen some. I didn't know this until the electrician showed me in the lab what was happening. Just a suggestion. He also said that it's a good idea to clean the breaker at the same time. Replace if it's got soot on it.

user name

user name

Reaction score
The sheets with the vac say 7 amps. The tag on the unit says 12, so the breaker has been hovering right at max for a while. Electrician just ran another circuit. All is good now.

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
The operating amperage for the motors might be 7 amps but when they start up they likely draw more amps. If there is nothing wrong with the motors then you might want to switch to a time delay or slow blow breaker with the same amp rating as the one you are replacing.