bionator

L

labdude

Reaction score
Interesting lost wax technique.
I did it once years ago for a patient who did not tolerate acrylic. It was injected with urathane. Slightly softer, but it did the job for that patient.

L

labdude

Reaction score
More Bionator pictures. This one is to close the bite, includes a tongue crib. Also has a picture placed in it.

Last edited:
M

mumka

Reaction score
Hello labdude! You're doing great job at this forum, you have so much info to share!

I wanted to write you a PM but I can't find the option 0o
My name is Ania and I'm a ...dental technician student from Poland. Currently I'm writing a final project about building bionator's framework and it's hard for me to find articles or books with step-by-step procedure of making it. Is it possible that you have some materials about it that you could share? It would be a big help for me! I will be gratefull for a reply, thanks in advance :) And sorry for bothering you ^^'

Ania

L

labdude

Reaction score
Hi Ania,
Your not bothering me!
The step by step description you might like may be available from Great Lakes. They do have manuals on making several functional appliances.
My brief on the applaince is complete. The first pictures are self explaining. A coffin spring in the palate, a lingual wire on the upper, placed then covered with wax. Wax to the incisal edge.
Nice to hear from you,
Mike.

L

labdude

Reaction score
Addition of head gear tubes to Bionator.
One tube is mounted with a glue gun, other with sticky wax. I prefer glue gun as it is firm but, still will flex without breaking loose.
While this is only showing mounting of head gear tubes (no bionator wires etc) it is how you place head gear tubes for most any appliance.
Wires are removed before fabrication, they are used for alignment of head gear tubes.
headgeartubes3.jpg

Last edited:
L

labdude

Reaction score
added pictures in post dated 1/16/08.
Red bionator showing detail of channeling teeth, plus a description of how.

CloudPeakDL

CloudPeakDL

Reaction score
Stiff bristle brush

"Cut with a thin disc as much as you can without hitting wires or the screw. Next use a sharp knife to cut away the plastic screw material as best as possible from the lingual side."

Have you ever tried a Robinson's standard stiff bristle brush made by Buffalo? Mounted No 12. I use these to remove excess acrylic when cleaning up an RPD but they work great for ortho also. They act like a thin disk but don't damage the wire or metal. I also use them to clean up acylic flash around my denture teeth.

L

labdude

Reaction score
Hi Candi,
I have and do use those little brushes. Great suggestion.
I'm a bit of a thrill seeker most times and use that "dangerous" disk.
Mike.

L

labdude

Reaction score
For those who can't view the videos.
I'll send a DVD including all videos and pictures of all appliances to you for $15.00. Shipping included, in the CON US only. Additional shippng for elsewhere.
Send a private message through the site, or use the address and phone # below.

Last edited:
L

Libertyortho

Reaction score
Fixator

Hey Labdude,
Just wondering....in regard to your bionator pics, where did you purchase the fixator from? I've been trying to locate that exact one and can't find a supplier..Thanks,
Libertyortho

L

labdude

Reaction score
Hi Liberty,
Fixator is from Great Lakes. Not sure the design is still the same. The ones I have I got in 1984.