Biofilm removal prior to cementation

I

illumi

Reaction score
I had a client ask if we had any reccomendations on precementation protocol for Zirconia. They mentioned they were using a self made biofilm removal on the prepa and then rinse and the usual saline on the zirc and Panavia cement.

Never had anyone ask about how to remove a biofilm on preps before. Anyone have any ideas?

F

FXYOGRILL

Reaction score
You can use Ivoclean from Ivoclar and or aluminum oxide 50 microns at 1 bar.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Smear layer, shmutz layer from the temps, the temp cement and bacteria.

As far as the zirconia crown, protect the internal surface with Z-Prime Plus, or Monobond Plus before shipping it out.
They then just need to clean the crown out with alcohol or acetone after try in. Otherwise, they would want
to use Ivoclean, then a Monobond or Z Prime for better cement retention to the crown itself.

Last edited:
user name

user name

Reaction score
'Sand blast the preps and clean the crown with acetone'. Vroam
You guys high on monomer?

doug

doug

Reaction score
Recommend that he read the CRA publication regarding Zr cementation. Gordon Christiansen is a god to a lot of dentists. I think he should retire. He and his wife can't agree on what the protocol should be

I

illumi

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips! Will grab the z-prime and see what Mr. Christiansen has to say.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Recommend that he read the CRA publication regarding Zr cementation. Gordon Christiansen is a god to a lot of dentists. I think he should retire. He and his wife can't agree on what the protocol should be

I saw her a couple of years ago, and she said the same thing in regards to the manufactures recommendations, they all tended to have different answers.
One company was really clueless on what to do when asked.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
I saw her a couple of years ago, and she said the same thing in regards to the manufactures recommendations, they all tended to have different answers.
One company was really clueless on what to do when asked.
Z-Prime Plus for Zr, Siline for Emax, LISI, Celtra. If Ivoclean is used then re- treatment is required after use. We always treat prior to shipping to avoid contamination of the surface. Sandblast internal of Zr at 30 PSI w 50 micron Alox before Z-Prime plus, preferably about 30 seconds trying to hit surfaces at a 90° angle. This apparently excites the molecular surface of the Zr for enhanced bonding. Source: Dr. Nasser Barghi, Head of Esthetic Dentistry, University of Texas @ San Antonio. Best bonding brain I have ever met, Fabulous clinician, check him out! https://www.uthscsa.edu/academics/dental/faculty/profile/0V71E3IX0/Barghi,-Nasser

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Z-Prime Plus for Zr, Siline for Emax, LISI, Celtra. If Ivoclean is used then re- treatment is required after use. We always treat prior to shipping to avoid contamination of the surface. Sandblast internal of Zr at 30 PSI w 50 micron Alox before Z-Prime plus, preferably about 30 seconds trying to hit surfaces at a 90° angle. This apparently excites the molecular surface of the Zr for enhanced bonding. Source: Dr. Nasser Barghi, Head of Esthetic Dentistry, University of Texas @ San Antonio. Best bonding brain I have ever met, Fabulous clinician, check him out! https://www.uthscsa.edu/academics/dental/faculty/profile/0V71E3IX0/Barghi,-Nasser
Excites? Causes better micro destrcution pits of the crystaline structure for sure.

Unless it's adjusting energy levels of electrons in the rings/spheres I don't think any exfiting is going on.

Either way, That is getted printed and taped to the wall of shame. That's a good thing.

It a shame for it is full of things I cannot remember.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score

I thought about how I worded my post you quoted as far as some of the confusion Rella mentioned. It wasn't so much with the cementing techniques or protocols, but with the manufacturers of the zirconia themselves. They were the ones that had multiple answers on their cementing recommendations for their zirconia, to one pretty much not really knowing what to recommend.

I think what the research has also found, is that one of the bigger issues they overcame as far as creating a "bond" to zircoinia, is that phosphates were
inhibiting the bond to the zirconia, even the phosphates in saliva.

I'm a fan of Nasser, too. I attended one of his seminars awhile back on feldspathic veneers and bonding.

Last edited:
doug

doug

Reaction score
JMN, Do you have a history in chemistry? That would come in very handy here. I know Labguy has asome. We need good resources like that here. Asking because you have a lot of good info you share.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
JMN, Do you have a history in chemistry? That would come in very handy here. I know Labguy has asome. We need good resources like that here. Asking because you have a lot of good info you share.
Just high school level in formal education. I did take chem and physics, but standard level HS classes. And a year of Electronics at Vo-Tech.

edit: Really wish I had way more time in school. Might have learned how to spell.