new zirc issue

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
hows this for a wild update....

after a batch of unusable zirc came out yesterday morning, i ran a calibration ring. came out just a few degrees hot. so i dropped the oven temp -5C. sintered over night and back to usable crowns. maybe im nuts but 5deg one way or the other shouldnt instantly mean completely worthless sintering.

at this stage i believe theres something wrong in the board(s). its too hit or miss for single units.

user name

user name

Reaction score
hows this for a wild update....

after a batch of unusable zirc came out yesterday morning, i ran a calibration ring. came out just a few degrees hot. so i dropped the oven temp -5C. sintered over night and back to usable crowns. maybe im nuts but 5deg one way or the other shouldnt instantly mean completely worthless sintering.

at this stage i believe theres something wrong in the board(s). its too hit or miss for single units.
Forgive me for not re-reading everything. Is this all the same zirconia? Even with expensive stuff, Ive had a bad couple pucks. Are you coloring? Old dye can look super crappy.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Forgive me for not re-reading everything. Is this all the same zirconia? Even with expensive stuff, Ive had a bad couple pucks. Are you coloring? Old dye can look super crappy.
4 different types of zirconia. rons ET ML, Plus ML, Vericore HTX and Vericore Pro
all preshaded for the most part.

if i have others sinter for me, the crowns come out fine....so its not a zirc issue.

i mean literally yesterdays crowns came out crap, remilled in the same puck, sintered last night after calibration and -5deg change....back to usable units.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Sounds like its probably hitting the temp, but maybe not ramping up properly, could be the board..

With Dekema you can see a readout on the PC of whats going on.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Sounds like its probably hitting the temp, but maybe not ramping up properly, could be the board..

With Dekema you can see a readout on the PC of whats going on.
at this stage the board is all thats left lol. so i tend to agree with you
i wish i could just plug in a laptop and see!

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
power surge or power drop over night over night maybe
Yes and maybe get someone to check your actual voltage delivery, maybe something has changed in your area and you wouldn't know without a check. Happens...

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Yes and maybe get someone to check your actual voltage delivery, maybe something has changed in your area and you wouldn't know without a check. Happens...
contractor will be out today to do just that!

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
@sidesh0wb0b What was the result of all the headache and headscratching?
the original electrician damn near caused a major issue.....the outlets that were supposed to be on a dedicated line for the porcelain furnaces.....were NOT on a dedicated line. he put a different outlet on a dedicated line....which was unknown to me. so the draw on the standard outlet caused wires in a junction box to melt completely through and melt the wire nuts as well. FUN! dodged a major fire there.

user name

user name

Reaction score
What the heck? How can you melt wires and not trip the breaker? There should be no wire nuts on a dedicated circuit.
That guys gotta go.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
the original electrician damn near caused a major issue.....the outlets that were supposed to be on a dedicated line for the porcelain furnaces.....were NOT on a dedicated line. he put a different outlet on a dedicated line....which was unknown to me. so the draw on the standard outlet caused wires in a junction box to melt completely through and melt the wire nuts as well. FUN! dodged a major fire there.
Holy melted wire nuts Batman! That's terrifying!

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
What the heck? How can you melt wires and not trip the breaker?
Usually from a loose connection generating heat. Overloaded circuits should trip a breaker.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
What the heck? How can you melt wires and not trip the breaker? There should be no wire nuts on a dedicated circuit.
That guys gotta go.
Wires are copper and if they oxidize where they are supposed to connect instead of being securely mated/in contact that's when it gets hot. CRob's right on overloaded, but you can get enough heat localized outside the breaker without causing enough inside tue breaker to trip it.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
That guys gotta go.
hes def not the electrician that came out and sorted the issue!!!! and he wont be returning

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Usually from a loose connection generating heat. Overloaded circuits should trip a breaker.
it was a loose connection as the wires melted inside the wire nut. i should have taken a pic....but the (red) wire nut was nearly unidentifiable and blackened and melted into a puddle inside the junction box until the wires melted apart and there was no longer a connection. 3yr of added draw from 2 furnaces running like champs.

user name

user name

Reaction score
This is the stuff that gives me bad dreams. Needing that trust factor.
I was surprised with the new compressor install. Previous unit was on a 220 20 amp breaker (5 hp 2 stage).
New one, you can turn the pump with your hand, practically no resistance, but had to be on a 50 amp breaker and re-run heavier wire. Dontknow

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
This is the stuff that gives me bad dreams. Needing that trust factor.
I was surprised with the new compressor install. Previous unit was on a 220 20 amp breaker (5 hp 2 stage).
New one, you can turn the pump with your hand, practically no resistance, but had to be on a 50 amp breaker and re-run heavier wire. Dontknow
interesting stuff, and stuff i need to plan for as i get a new air setup!

Top Bottom