Beware denture lab owners!!!!!

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
I don't see any oportunity for ever, ever, ever, having any deelings with him again. It's bad enough I have to see him when I deliver to the other dentists in the office.

I get the whole dental economics thing and realize it's a problem but lets not try to drag others down too , lets not make your problems someone elses. I agree that there is a place for second chances ...this is definatly not one of them LOL. I'd rather mow grass or shovel sh!t than work for someone who tries to drag me down, I have 2 little ones to feed and 1 on the way the last thing I need is someone trying to damage the good reputation that I have worked so hard for.

There are times when U fire someone U fire them and don't look back and don't make an 8track of what I wish would happen. U will what if YRself into non production. In 32 yrs my own lab I have been to court 5 times came out with the decision 4 times, (wasn't prepared 1 st time, we gotta learn). The other DDS's seem to realize I am in business too. They want me to do the detail & use the good materials. There is nothing to do but take the hi road, comments don't help (another hard lesson) but a pleasant smile just makes them wonder, and U feel better.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
I don't see any oportunity for ever, ever, ever, having any deelings with him again. It's bad enough I have to see him when I deliver to the other dentists in the office.

I get the whole dental economics thing and realize it's a problem but lets not try to drag others down too , lets not make your problems someone elses. I agree that there is a place for second chances ...this is definatly not one of them LOL. I'd rather mow grass or shovel sh!t than work for someone who tries to drag me down, I have 2 little ones to feed and 1 on the way the last thing I need is someone trying to damage the good reputation that I have worked so hard for.

You're already shovelling $H!T brother....cause when you work for idiots like that all you always cleaning up behind them....:D (joke)

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
There are times when U fire someone U fire them and don't look back and don't make an 8track of what I wish would happen. U will what if YRself into non production. In 32 yrs my own lab I have been to court 5 times came out with the decision 4 times, (wasn't prepared 1 st time, we gotta learn). The other DDS's seem to realize I am in business too. They want me to do the detail & use the good materials. There is nothing to do but take the hi road, comments don't help (another hard lesson) but a pleasant smile just makes them wonder, and U feel better.

DITTO

hydent

hydent

Reaction score

You are absolutely right I do take the high road. Every time I see him but I have to say it isn't easy but, I know it's necessary and I know it makes him feel like a wanker. I hope I never have to see a courtroom in my career.

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
There is a denture tooth company that starts with an "I" and ends with a "clar" that will through you under the bus by not selling their teeth at their own "suggested retail price" to dentists. I recently had a dentist order his own teeth for a case and was irate that I was marking the teeth up (to their suggested retail) This is standard practice with this company ...you might want to look into it. I called Schein and they said they would absolutely never do that .......I'm just saying!!!

This is part of our limited profit on our craft without that... WE LOSE!!

im not sure i agree with you. would you ever bring your own food into a restaurant and ask the chef to cook the food you brought with you, then expect a discount off the bill?

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
im not sure i agree with you. would you ever bring your own food into a restaurant and ask the chef to cook the food you brought with you, then expect a discount off the bill?

Sureeee, why not? You brought the food right? So thats an overhead the chef doesnt have,,,;) (sarcasm)

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
how dare we make a profit ;) if you don't like the price of something you go shop somewhere else, it's as simple as that.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score

I might not expect a discount but if it was something I liked and killed, and the chef is good I would praise him/her and hope for a wonderful full belly. Isn't it nice to be able to kill in the USA:rolleyes:

Slipstream

Slipstream

Reaction score
Yet to meet a dentist that had any moral high ground where mark up is concerned - I assume the dentist passed the tooth saving on to his patient. :rolleyes:

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Yet to meet a dentist that had any moral high ground where mark up is concerned - I assume the dentist passed the tooth saving on to his patient. :rolleyes:

Only if U are referring to the phrase assume = a55 of U & me. Do U suppose this is of any response to the DDS school removing Ethics courses and replacing with an Accounting Business course? :hmmmm:My wife worked as a waitress (in the 80's & 90's) and the girls hated serving Athletes, MD & DDS they tended to stiff the tip and the Athletes if rich professional wanted meal for free since they graced the restaurant with their presence. :eating:

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score

You don't agree because you're a Ivoclar sales rep Todd. Of course you don't agree, your opinion in such matter is bias, to say the least. It was fun while it lasted :)

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
my main problem is him telling all of my other accounts that I am ripping them off in reguards to teeth. it's unfair to the lab owner who is working sh!t loads of hours to make a living and then being made out to be a rip off artist.[/QUOTE]

This is a valid point and outrageous.
I have always allowed my accounts to order the components themselves (teeth, implant abutments,etc) to keep their cost down if that's where they're at. my price list breaks down to ala carte processes for just that reason.
I have drs that set up their own dentures. No big deal.
Acting like you are ripping them off, though, IS a big deal.

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
You don't agree because you're a Ivoclar sales rep Todd. Of course you don't agree, your opinion in such matter is bias, to say the least. It was fun while it lasted :)

ha ha ha way to call him out Rob... I had no idea he was a rep.

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
my main problem is him telling all of my other accounts that I am ripping them off in reguards to teeth. it's unfair to the lab owner who is working sh!t loads of hours to make a living and then being made out to be a rip off artist.

This is a valid point and outrageous.
I have always allowed my accounts to order the components themselves (teeth, implant abutments,etc) to keep their cost down if that's where they're at. my price list breaks down to ala carte processes for just that reason.
I have drs that set up their own dentures. No big deal.
Acting like you are ripping them off, though, IS a big deal.[/QUOTE]

I actually tell my doctors that I mark up implant parts many times they don't care and have me order them. I feel it's nice to be up front, I've however never told them I mark up the denture teeth to suggested retail, never felt the need to. I don't care if they choose to order their own teeth. From my experience with my dr's is that they many times choose the wrong size teeth for the case ...at least 60 to 70 percent of the time I'd say they are the wrong teeth.

My point is this Ivoclar Is making doing business as a laboratory more difficult with this particular business practice. You all can do what you want with the information, it seems it doesn't matter to many of you but it does matter to me. I felt the need to tell all of the people that are trying to make a living in this business just like me. You all can take action or support what they are doing either way makes no difference to me. I just felt like if it bothered me it would also bother others who are lab owners. I wish to do business in an honest ethical way and I expect the people I buy from to do the same. Good luck to everyone and good day.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
ha ha ha way to call him out Rob... I had no idea he was a rep.

I wish I could take credit, it was a different Jedi Knight. Either way, it makes sense, I've enjoyed the factual banter back and forth but I'll call out any sales weasel, supplier, or manufacturer who makes such a blatant biased opinion to push their product under the cloak anonymity. There goes my Ivoclar discount :D

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
I might not expect a discount but if it was something I liked and killed, and the chef is good I would praise him/her and hope for a wonderful full belly. Isn't it nice to be able to kill in the USA:rolleyes:

Praise, as in a handsome tip right? Thats what I'd do, its only fitting.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
MSRP,,,, you're dammed if you do;dentists,and you're dammed if you dont; labs because you'll be undercutting. I once had a GP tell me he had to charge the same fee as his collegues to avoid retribution.

As consumers, how many times have we bought something and paid the MSRP or higher?

Last edited:
kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I'm on the same page with you, Bart. My local accounts are insurance driven because Hawaii has mandates in place for coverage; so there's a participate or starve mentality that goes on. When I'm asked to order implant parts I always point out that it will be less expensive for the dr to acquire them on their own. i have some that still ask me to order them. Fine.
As far as teeth go, well, if they provide them, they're also responsible for any unfortunate outcomes if the mould is wrong... not my problem. FWIW 99% just let me choose the teeth and do my thing. The few I have that do it themselves at least seem to know what they're doing, so I'm cool with it.
Now for my story o' the month: an account that I've done a TON of pro bono work for for women's and homeless shelters makes a TRP for a patient who is a massive gagger, and refuses delivery. Invoice is less than $200.
He tries to return it to me for a refund, WTF am I supposed to do with it? the account himself is only worth around $500/month, and is incapable of improving is lackluster attempts at removable.
So I said no.
Guess who I'm now hounding to pay his last bill ,<$500?
This may be my first time dragging some sorry excuse into small claims.... but I WILL.