Best way to seperate acrylic from acrylic?

C

ChicagoDent

Reaction score
Hey guys! I have a tech at the office who is getting more into making duplicate emergency dentures. He uses the Lang technique and they come out very good. However the tinfoil he is using seems to not work very good. Acrylic is still all over the back molars very thick. I watched him apply it and he does 3-4 coats. Looking closer it looks like that tends to cause it to peel away more easily. He waits for each coat to completely dry however. Also I think he's making the teeth in another mold or skrinkage is occurring even under 30 PSI of pressure cast. Once he coats the trimmed teeth and places them in the flask you can see its not tight fitting at all so acrylic will encapsulate the teeth. Arcylic doesn't stick everywhere but around the gingiva area its bad. He ends up scaring the denture grinding the pink off the teeth. Can you guys recommend a good product other then lang? Or share your thoughts about what you do?

Thanks to anyone willing to chime in, I will try and post some pictures this evening of the resulting cast.

Thanks!

ottawa

ottawa

Reaction score
Is alginate around the teeth? Try placing putty around the teeth before you invest with alginate in the flask.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
If he is making a u of the teeth and curing it first and trying to use the same mold to make a second cure the alginate is changing between cures. If he is making a U (tooth form) in a first then putting the U in a second jig all he needs to do I get Incisal M from Fricke Mix pour in the U (tooth mold area) Press the U into this and use a camel hair brush to shape the Incisal M around the CEJ and quickly put in the pink, screw it tight & place in pressure vessel at 30 PSI 145*f 30 min, I think you will like the result.
Sometimes the U will deform and he will need to cut at the distal of the Canines. Also note the is only a AED, and you are trying to create a tissue surface against alginate, and acrylic in alginate none of these are really accurate (ion this use). If trying to do such a nice job have DDS thin reline Denture make type III stone model and do the rest in a hydrocoloid flask from Fricke. Same tooth mold shape as described. Fricke HI I #1 pour acrylic will give really nice result with HI I tooth colored PMMA.

Last edited:
C

ChicagoDent

Reaction score
Thank for responding guys. I took some photos today and hope to post them in the morning. Answer to some questions:

No alginate present.

Yes, 2 seperate jigs

The wax sounds like the answer, once you guys see the photos I think you will agree

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Thank for responding guys. I took some photos today and hope to post them in the morning. Answer to some questions:

No alginate present.

Yes, 2 seperate jigs

The wax sounds like the answer, once you guys see the photos I think you will agree

Yea, it will take up a few minutes of your time, but not as long as cleaning the acrylic off the abutments. And once or cured or injected you can just steam it off. And of you go to town with it, your tissue contour at the cervical will be perfect. No cleanup neccasary.

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
My tech gets great results in one attempt. Using a pour flask she salt and peppers the teeth in puts the two halves together and inmmediately pours in the acrylic. Pops it into a pressure pot and cures.

We are using reversible hydrocoloid, Langs tooth and Dentsply pour acrylic. We duplicate wax try ins of an immediate for a healing denture (wax try in is saved for final impression after healing) and finished dentures for a spare denture.

Quick, simple, and accurate.